Is GMS good for adventure/platformer/beat'em up?

I

Indra Anagram

Hi GameMaker Community,

I've just registered being a beginner and total noob in coding, development and GameMaker. Don't know even if this is the right place to ask my question. So, if moderators consider this thread inappropriate, please don't curse me, guys :D

I would like to develop a game of mixed genres eventually, i.e. Level 1 is adventure game (keyboard control) - lots of talking, gathering objects to the inventory and puzzle solving (think The Cat Lady ), Level 2 is platformer like the very first installment in Prince of Persia series (1989) and Level 3 is beat'em up. All 3 levels are sidescrollers, so we watch characters move sideways - left and right.

My question is: Is it possible to develop such project with GameMaker? Are there any snippet/example projects available in the community?

THANK YOU for understanding, kindness and friendly guidance.

Attachments

H

Homunculus

Absolutely, as long as you are ready to take your time learning all the required skills. "Can I create a [insert game genre o specific here] in game maker?" is a common question, and the answer generally is that game maker is not the limiting factor, but the skills of the programmer.

About your specific idea, if you have no coding experience it's probably going to be a hard first project. Each level requires its own very unique logic being a totally different genre. It's usually difficult enough to program a good gaming experience in just one of those, having all three in a single project could probably present some challenges.

You can find resources and tutorials for each of those genres online, https://www.yoyogames.com/learn is probably a good place to start though.

JeffJ

Yes. You could literally have one level be a top down shooter, the next one an Angry Birds physics simulator, followed by a first person shooting level, then a Mario-like platformer level... Finish off with a Zelda racing game.
GameMaker is very good in this way, and you're not locked into any one style. But as @Catan said, you'll have to build the logic for each different style, which in itself will be more work than if you stuck with one "genre". But there's nothing about GameMaker's nature or paradigm stopping you from mixing them together.

As for snippet/examples, that depends on the specific level. For example, for the platformer level, you should probably look specifically for platformer examples.

Also, welcome to the forum, and have fun making games!

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
You can do pretty much everything on Game Maker. It's only a matter of skill and time.

If my advice is worth anything, I would suggest you to start with a very simple game at first and do some tutorials first.

(Now I am thinking to myself... what can't be done in GM... o.Ô)

I

Indra Anagram

About your specific idea, if you have no coding experience it's probably going to be a hard first project. Each level requires its own very unique logic being a totally different genre.
Do people who are good at writing, drawing/designing typically get to collaborate with other community members who are good at coding?

You can find resources and tutorials for each of those genres online, https://www.yoyogames.com/learn is probably a good place to start though.
Thank you, sweetheart! The link is useful, since I'm going to dive deeper into GMS. Are Game Maker 6/7/8 and GameMaker Studio two different engines? Or is this the same program? What if I had a project made in GM7 and wanted to update?

Yes. You could literally have one level be a top down shooter, the next one an Angry Birds physics simulator, followed by a first person shooting level, then a Mario-like platformer level... Finish off with a Zelda racing game.
That's exactly what I was wondering about)

As for snippet/examples, that depends on the specific level. For example, for the platformer level, you should probably look specifically for platformer examples.
Any specific examples? Maybe some of your favorite ones?

Also, welcome to the forum, and have fun making games!
Thank you, cherrypie! I hope to become a part of your friendly game community some day and help others.

If my advice is worth anything, I would suggest you to start with a very simple game at first and do some tutorials first.
Your advice IS worth everything at the moment, because I'm only a beginner, and you are not. And you kindly replied my question. Thank you, sunshine, I'll definitely follow your advice.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Welcome to the GMC! :)

Do people who are good at writing, drawing/designing typically get to collaborate with other community members who are good at coding?
That's quite common around here. We have a forum centered around collaboration, fittingly named Collaboration, which I moderate. In this forum, you can find the portfolios of members who are willing to offer their skills, either for a fee or just for experience.

You may also post job offers if you wish to hire people for fixed positions (they would then contact you instead of the other way) or, if your project is in an advanced stage and you are able to post a project presentation, you can post a team request so that others can join in on the project and start developing it.

Thank you, sweetheart! The link is useful, since I'm going to dive deeper into GMS. Are Game Maker 6/7/8 and GameMaker Studio two different engines? Or is this the same program? What if I had a project made in GM7 and wanted to update?
Game Maker 6, 7 and 8 are all ancient pieces of software. Licenses for them are not being sold anymore, but they are part of the same product line as GameMaker Studio 2. The timeline goes like this: 6 -> 6.1 -> 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> HTML5 -> Studio 1 -> Studio 2. Out of these, Studio 2 is being actively developed and licenses for it are available for purchase. The other products have been discontinued or sunset and, as long as the licensing mechanism is not handled by an external provider that went out of business (Game Maker 7 has this fate), are still usable and accessible for license holders.

Each version has backwards compatibility with a limited reach of one or a few versions behind. In the case of Studio 2, you are able to import down to Studio 1 projects.

Any specific examples? Maybe some of your favorite ones?
While this question wasn't directed at me, there are countless ways to implement any of the things you mentioned, all of them with their unique benefits and disadvantages. I can suggest checking out the official tutorials (IDE start page -> Tutorials) and the manual (Help -> Open Manual), though, as these are the intended starting point for new users.

I hope I was able to assist you and that you will enjoy your stay!

I

Indra Anagram

That's quite common around here. We have a forum centered around collaboration, fittingly named Collaboration, which I moderate. In this forum, you can find the portfolios of members who are willing to offer their skills, either for a fee or just for experience.
Llllllovely :banana:

Each version has backwards compatibility with a limited reach of one or a few versions behind. In the case of Studio 2, you are able to import down to Studio 1 projects.
So... does this mean those old versions (7/8/8.1), Studio 1 and Studio 2 look completely in a different way and have incompatible functions? If I find an old tutorial, I won't be able to follow it with GMS 2 due to interface and functional differences?

While this question wasn't directed at me, there are countless ways to implement any of the things you mentioned, all of them with their unique benefits and disadvantages. I can suggest checking out the official tutorials (IDE start page -> Tutorials) and the manual (Help -> Open Manual), though, as these are the intended starting point for new users.
What I like is you people are so encouraging here.

Welcome to the GMC! :)
I hope I was able to assist you and that you will enjoy your stay!
Yes, you are! Thank you, sugar, this guidance will help me to make my first baby steps with GMS.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
So... does this mean those old versions (7/8/8.1), Studio 1 and Studio 2 look completely in a different way and have incompatible functions? If I find an old tutorial, I won't be able to follow it with GMS 2 due to interface and functional differences?
There have been numerous changes under the hood regarding how specific functionality is handled or how specific functions work (the view/camera system, for example, is entirely different in Studio 2 compared to earlier versions). The IDE itself used the same code base for a long time, but has been completely rewritten for Studio 2. Unless you are acutely aware of the differences between the versions and can adapt accordingly (which won't be the case if you're just starting out), old tutorials are not applicable for newer versions and should not be considered a reliable learning resource as some old techniques are no longer usable at all, or some functions may have changed in terms of the way they work, the values they return or the arguments they accept.

I

Indra Anagram

Unless you are acutely aware of the differences between the versions and can adapt accordingly (which won't be the case if you're just starting out), old tutorials are not applicable for newer versions and should not be considered a reliable learning resource as some old techniques are no longer usable at all, or some functions may have changed in terms of the way they work, the values they return or the arguments they accept.
I saw a couple of books online and wanted to buy them for learning GMS. They were written by Jacob Habgood - The Game Maker's Apprentice and The Game Maker's Companion. So, it is a bad idea to purchase those? Not useful for GMS 2?

Also sorry for offtop, but what version of GMS will run on Windows XP? Or is it impossible to use it with such obsolete OS?

Thank you, butterfly!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I saw a couple of books online and wanted to buy them for learning GMS. They were written by Jacob Habgood - The Game Maker's Apprentice and The Game Maker's Companion. So, it is a bad idea to purchase those? Not useful for GMS 2?
Apprentice and Companion are for legacy versions of GM up to 8.1, and definitely not recommended for GMS 2.

Also sorry for offtop, but what version of GMS will run on Windows XP? Or is it impossible to use it with such obsolete OS?
The last version that will run on XP is GMS 1.4, and that has been past sunset for almost a year. GMS 2 will NOT run on XP or any 32-bit system.

If you want to start game development now and mean it, get a newer system that meets or exceeds GMS 2's system requirements. It's the recommended minimum for any sort of game development at the starter level, including but certainly not limited to GMS 2.

Tsa05

Those books are very good with regards to covering the idea and workflow for creating a game in GameMaker--they cover concepts like Sprites, Events, and Actions in a way that is relevant, and they cover the basics of game logic that are also still relevant.

The examples given in those books, the screenshots of the software, and the files on the accompanying disc are not relevant to the current version of GameMaker; while many actions and bits of code mentioned in the books are actually present in GameMaker today, it would be difficult to follow the steps precisely given how different the interface it, and many features such as pausing and text input are entirely incompatible. But, information is information, so there's always something to be gained from reading I suppose; might be better off checking them out from a library though.

I

Indra Anagram

Apprentice and Companion are for legacy versions of GM up to 8.1, and definitely not recommended for GMS 2.
Then I'll pass on buying those two. Any suggestions to similar books for GMS 2?

The last version that will run on XP is GMS 1.4, and that has been past sunset for almost a year. GMS 2 will NOT run on XP or any 32-bit system.
Thank you, treasure! Now I know about GMS and Windows version compatibility.

The examples given in those books, the screenshots of the software, and the files on the accompanying disc are not relevant to the current version of GameMaker; while many actions and bits of code mentioned in the books are actually present in GameMaker today, it would be difficult to follow the steps precisely given how different the interface it, and many features such as pausing and text input are entirely incompatible. But, information is information, so there's always something to be gained from reading I suppose; might be better off checking them out from a library though.
Thank you, dear! Will you advise any newer books that you personally find useful?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Shaun Spalding is doing a ton of video tutorials that uses GMS2's new features, check those out on Youtube whenever you've got the time. He's a former Yoyo staff member.

As for the game design bit, I think it would be better to make a core player logic system (movement, interactions, etc) and use that for all the different gameplay styles, but with different context - for the racing minigame you would focus on moving fast, for the puzzle level you would push blocks around, for the combat scenes you'd punch things. You could have minigames where you collect special items that only appear in that minigame, and special powerups that give you temporary abilities that only appear in one room in the entire game. This gives variety, but you still only need to code ONE object in a way that makes it fun, and the player is less likely to be confused by all the random stuff that's thrown at them.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you're gonna look into game design in general, you DEFINITELY should check out the Game Developers Conference youtube channel! The talks are lengthy, but they're full of good stuff from industry professionals. Here's a recently released one hosted by someone you should recognize...

pixeltroid

Hi GameMaker Community,

I've just registered being a beginner and total noob in coding, development and GameMaker. Don't know even if this is the right place to ask my question. So, if moderators consider this thread inappropriate, please don't curse me, guys :D

I would like to develop a game of mixed genres eventually, i.e. Level 1 is adventure game (keyboard control) - lots of talking, gathering objects to the inventory and puzzle solving (think The Cat Lady ), Level 2 is platformer like the very first installment in Prince of Persia series (1989) and Level 3 is beat'em up. All 3 levels are sidescrollers, so we watch characters move sideways - left and right.

My question is: Is it possible to develop such project with GameMaker? Are there any snippet/example projects available in the community?
look at the work in progress section. Many of the games are adventure/platformers.

BTW welcome to the GameMaker forum!