• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Is Gamemaker Studio 2 production ready?

O

otherguy

Can I use GMS2 for a real project or is there anything missing from the previous version? Is it stable enough?

GMWolf

aka fel666
It has been pretty stable for me. Perhaps even more stable than 1.4.

I don't think any 1.x features are missing, without then being replaced with a better alternative.

There have been an number of bugs reported however. I haven't run into them, but your mileage may vary.

41nd

There was a cpu usage bug that was fixed pretty quick (after the weekend) and another draw order iirc. Both pretty annoying but not many days passed until the beta was updated.

GMS2 is still in beta and it is never really a good idea to do production in a beta product, though some do. I'd personally wait to use GMS2 for production as things are being changed and added to it and some of these changes could possible affect anything you've already created in GMS2.

There will always be bugs. That's not the point. However, in an actual production it is not the wisest course to choose to use beta software, be it for creating graphics, code, or whatever. It's not just bugs. It's changes that can take place (i.e. possible code changes, etc.) that can affect you in the midst of a development cycle causing you to 1) have to go through everything you've done and have to make changes (changes that you normally would not have to make with non-beta software) or 2) causes things that once worked to no longer work (or no work as intended).

But bugs in beta tend to be harsher than most of the bugs once software reaches GC (Gold Candidate) or is ready for release. Unintended memory leaks and a slew of other things can bring production to a halt.

I fully recommend testing and learning and working in the GMS2 beta. I do not recommend going full production in it until it is at least GC. But that's me (and most people that use software for a living).

gnysek

If you release a product, any changes in future versions shouldn't care you much, if game is polished.

Jobo

GMC Elder
Yes, you can use it in its current state for a real project - and enjoy lots of updates that constantly improve your experience.
I'd personally wait to use GMS2 for production as things are being changed and added to it and some of these changes could possible affect anything you've already created in GMS2.
Affect it, yes... Break it, no. I would use GMS2 over GMS1 for any type of project (be it hobby, concept, or commercial) any day of the week. And many do this already, with large existing projects they imported from GMS1.

O

otherguy

There will always be bugs. That's not the point. However, in an actual production it is not the wisest course to choose to use beta software, be it for creating graphics, code, or whatever. It's not just bugs. It's changes that can take place (i.e. possible code changes, etc.) that can affect you in the midst of a development cycle causing you to 1) have to go through everything you've done and have to make changes (changes that you normally would not have to make with non-beta software) or 2) causes things that once worked to no longer work (or no work as intended).

But bugs in beta tend to be harsher than most of the bugs once software reaches GC (Gold Candidate) or is ready for release. Unintended memory leaks and a slew of other things can bring production to a halt.

I fully recommend testing and learning and working in the GMS2 beta. I do not recommend going full production in it until it is at least GC. But that's me (and most people that use software for a living).
I do agree with you, but there are a lot of quality of life changes that I can't ignore. Version 1.4 is a very archaic tool.

Ednei

If you use GM2 to create a project for Windows, I would say yes.

However, if you plan to use GM2 for mobile projects (Android / IOS) I would not recommend it at this time. The mobile module has some bugs that will make it impossible to publish games (problems to generate keystores for example).

In my case, I'm advancing my mobile project using the Windows module.

Ednei

Sorry, despite all that has been said here, it is never a good idea to go into production with a product that is marked as beta. You can do it. People do. But it's just not a good idea. There's a reason it's in beta. Once again, once it's GC, go for it. Beta. Nope. Learn, play, prepare, but don't go into production. Of course, you all can do as you please. No one is stopping you ... :p

GMWolf

aka fel666
Sorry, despite all that has been said here, it is never a good idea to go into production with a product that is marked as beta. You can do it. People do. But it's just not a good idea. There's a reason it's in beta. Once again, once it's GC, go for it. Beta. Nope. Learn, play, prepare, but don't go into production. Of course, you all can do as you please. No one is stopping you ... :p
But considering GMs 1 has just as many bugs if not more...

sercan

GMS2 is much easier to use. Workspaces, windows, especially new room editor saves you huge time. Yes it is "beta" but it depends on your project scale. GMS2 beta is well enough for me to handle my game.