GameMaker Is GameMaker capable of doing what I want?

T

tin_crispy

Dear community,
I have only played with some basic code and so my understanding of what I am asking for is somewhat limited. However, I will describe what I want and it would be awesome if anyone can tell me :

A) the exact wording required to ask what I am asking, so that I can better search for these concepts in future
B) whether GameMaker can do what Im asking and/or whatever more appropriate program is available
C) if you are interested in the project and think you can offer any other form of help! This would be amazing!

SO
what I keep dreaming of is an artificial evolution simulator in the conceptual mould of 'Creatures' (anyone play that game? I think they were on to something incredible 20 years ago, but they didn't get to continue their work)
I have already loosely mapped out the behaviours and decision making trees (on paper that is!) but THIS is what I want to know:

I realise I can create packages of information that can be attached to separate sprites and then constantly updated based on their decisions. This is how I will create one creature. HOWEVER when 2 creatures successfully reproduce, I need the simulator to create a new, unique package of information for the CHILD that calculates its stats from combinations of the PARENT stats, and then of course, attach this package to a newly created sprite.

If you think this sounds like something I can achieve here on GameMaker, then perhaps I will consider buying it. If you think it sounds insane but you LOVE it and you want to hear more about my ingenious plan to make this concept work, then please let me know and perhaps we can chat on discord. I am not technically gifted, or wealthy but If you like a bit of stats, maths and 2d top-down evolutionary tamagochi extravaganzas and you think you'd like to get involved then DO please get in contact. (I currently love blogging on steemit for cryptocurrency and I think it could be a fun way to fund a project like this so it might not ALL be for nothing!)

peace out.
tin_crispy

Attachments

C

captiongoosebut

Game maker is only capable of making it if you are.

The answer to your key question is that yes this can be done in Game maker.

In AI terms the concept is called genetic algorithms, although depending on what your final design is you may not need something so complex.

When you say creating a new sprite, are you talking about procedurally generating a brand new sprite automatically via code, or just pulling bits and pieces of pre existing arm leg and body sprites into a new one.

Z

zendraw

yes its possible, i can even tell you how. you simply create scripts that contain information about how ur creatures perform after evolution and you make a ton of variables in the creatures themselvs. and when a child is born the easyest thing is to pick variables either from the father or the mother and make a mix of them, or go through some algorithm or w/e and make a more unique identity. but since your a total noob to p rogramming it wuld take you atleast 2 years to get into it.

T

tin_crispy

but since your a total noob to p rogramming it wuld take you atleast 2 years to get into it.
Haha! I did have this concern.....! thankyou for your answer. So do you mean that effectively the information for each instance of the creature would be exactly the same, but that how it it uses/accesses that information would be different?

Z

zendraw

look it like this, you have a bucket with all the info that will be availible for ur creatures, like if his feets are red or green, if his head is of a pig or crow, etc. all that in a bucket and each creature simply picks specific info from that bucket that forms the creature itself.
or like a menu, like u go into a resturant and they offer u a menu with everything, but you pick a certain combination of a drink, meal and desert, in same way ur creatures will pick a certain combination of body traits or w/e.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Ok, so code cannot change (mostly) but data can.

So each of your offspring can have new data, but must follow the same code.

Thankfully data is enough to make the same code behave completely differently. You just need to write the right code to do that.

T

tin_crispy

When you say creating a new sprite, are you talking about procedurally generating a brand new sprite automatically via code, or just pulling bits and pieces of pre existing arm leg and body sprites into a new one.
This would be incredible! I have been thinking about that, but I didn't want to confuse matters by mentioning that sort of thing. but yes, procedurally generating the offspring based on some of the physical elements of the parent creatures would completely explode my mind with happiness. What I really want to see is unexpected behaviour patterns emerge as stats begin to pair and dominate through associations. The more unique the creatures become, the more the player can fall in love with them (or despise them!) as if they had real personalities. Another awesome avenue would be procedurally generated sounds as well so that each new creature begins to have multiple unique tags by which it can be identified.

Thankyou for answering the key question. Now I can justify feeling excited and probably purchase GameMaker :)
Genetic algorithms sounds like some handy jargon too, I'll add that to the list of 'things to help me pretend that I know what Im talking about'

T

tin_crispy

Ok, so code cannot change (mostly) but data can.

So each of your offspring can have new data, but must follow the same code.

Thankfully data is enough to make the same code behave completely differently. You just need to write the right code to do that.
YES exactly! Of course the code will be the same template for every creature, but yes, for some reason in my mind I imagine a unique package of data for each creature that is then input in to the code template but I am probably seeing things the wrong way. Either way, yes, it is just numbers that will change/evolve and be passed on (or number fields should I say, to allow for randomness and potentially unexpected anomolies)

T

tin_crispy

if u want i can be ur mentor and guide u how to make ur game.

i will show u dawae
that is very kind of you! thankyou! will I be able to do some tests in the free trial version or will I have to buy the full GameMaker to begin?

Z

zendraw

you can start with the free trial, i think it will be enough to get the basics going. as faar as im aware it restricts you only on resourses