Is GameMaker 1.4 still downloadable?

Hey there GameMaker fellas.
It's been a while since I started using GameMaker and, since I can't spend 100$ for the complete GameMaker Studio 2 on Steam (since I'm not good enough to spend money on that) and GameMaker 8.1 is crap under certain circumstances, I'd like to try a different version of it.

I heard that GameMakerStudio 1.4 was actually a pretty nice version of the program, and it was also free.
I mean, is not that is FREE the main reason that I want it, but mainly because I can't stand 8.1 anymore...

So, I heard that YoyoGames removed 1.4 from Steam, but it's still avaible if you search correctly.
I tried some links but they didn't seem to work... so I came here to ask if there is still a way I
could dowload this version, from Steam or not is not important.

Thanks y'all, hope you are doing great after the quarantine.

O.Stogden

GMS 1.4 was never free. And isn't available for download any longer as it's not supported, and may not work correctly on operating systems going forward.

Owners of GMS 1.4 can still download it, but if you don't own a license, there's no legal way to get one now.

GMS 1.4 was never free. And isn't available for download any longer as it's not supported, and may not work correctly on operating systems going forward.

Owners of GMS 1.4 can still download it, but if you don't own a license, there's no legal way to get one now.
Got it, thanks!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
For the sake of completeness: There was a specific period of time during which Studio 1.x Standard was free. However, this was never intended to be a permanent thing, and as the licensing model evolved over time, it went from having a free trial and paid Standard / Pro / exports to having Standard replace the trial and become free while the rest remained untouched, and finally to having a trial again, Standard completely removed and the rest still staying untouched. Anyone who states that 1.x is "free" likely got it during this time and didn't get the memo that it was temporary, or was referring to the trial.

pixeltroid

For the sake of completeness: There was a specific period of time during which Studio 1.x Standard was free. However, this was never intended to be a permanent thing, and as the licensing model evolved over time, it went from having a free trial and paid Standard / Pro / exports to having Standard replace the trial and become free while the rest remained untouched, and finally to having a trial again, Standard completely removed and the rest still staying untouched. Anyone who states that 1.x is "free" likely got it during this time and didn't get the memo that it was temporary, or was referring to the trial.
I first got 1.4 for free in 2016. It worked fully except that it could only export for windows. And I think it lacked some features in the "preferences" tab.

Chaser

The GMS 1.4 I had was free, you could export to windows only and it was limited to 20 objects,sprites but I think all the functions worked, just limited. Trial? Then I paid for version to have unlimited objects, sprites etc. Standard? Anyways, it has now been put to pasture, we look back and appreciate what once was. RIP GMS 1.4.:)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

drandula

Just asking, when you buy GMS2, do you also get download option for 1.4 🤔
Somehow I have this stuck in my head that it would give you even though you never owned 1.4, but I don't know.

I have had 1.4 and later bought GMS2, so of course I have download options for these. Someone who only have bought GMS2 could check.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Just asking, when you buy GMS2, do you also get download option for 1.4 🤔
Somehow I have this stuck in my head that it would give you even though you never owned 1.4, but I don't know.
This was an option between the start of GMS2 "gamma testing" (aka when it was supposedly complete but still about as unstable as a beta) and GMS1's support being completely dropped. At that point onwards, GMS2 purchases only gives you GMS2.

If you're up for a whole lot of technical issues, there's an opensource remake of GMS1 (or rather, a mishmash of everything between GM6 and GMS1 with a hint of raw C++). It requires some lateral thinking to find. I'm not sure its compiler even works, so I'd mostly only recommend it if you need to convert old GM files to GMS2 and missed the GMS1 sunset train.

drandula

This was an option between the start of GMS2 "gamma testing" (aka when it was supposedly complete but still about as unstable as a beta) and GMS1's support being completely dropped. At that point onwards, GMS2 purchases only gives you GMS2.

If you're up for a whole lot of technical issues, there's an opensource remake of GMS1 (or rather, a mishmash of everything between GM6 and GMS1 with a hint of raw C++). It requires some lateral thinking to find. I'm not sure its compiler even works, so I'd mostly only recommend it if you need to convert old GM files to GMS2 and missed the GMS1 sunset train.
Thanks for clearing.

I haven't used 1.4 for ages and can't even go back to pre-2.3 after using beta 😆