• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Development Is game maker right for my project?

alandor

Hi everyone!
I am planning to make a simple card game and I’m looking for the right engine to do it in. I want a simple engine which is easy for me to start using. Perhaps you can help me see if game maker is right for me?

The game is quite simple. I just have to be able to make cards with text in different languages depending on the settings players choose.

I also want the game to be playable solo, hotseat and online. I’ve never made a game before so I feel like there may be things about setting up online games that I’m not thinking of. Does Game Makerhave good tools that make these network issues simply to setup? (Creating accounts, find other users, simple chat function etc…).

Im planning to publish only on mobile for now. I’m not a programmer but I’ve done enough work in JavaScript and PHP to feel confident I’d be able to learn the language that comes with game maker.

I don’t need flashy animations or real time gaming or AI etc. So what do you think. Is Game Maker a good fit or are there simpler engines that i

Roderick

Any of the major game design tools I've used would be able to do such a game (except RPG Maker, for obvious reasons).

In this case, it's more down to which tool better suits your work flow. Since most of them have a free version, I'd recommend downloading any that you're interested in and spending a day or two doing tutorials in each to see which feels best for you.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Gamemaker is more than capable of making a game with the features that you mention. It has all the tools for it, and is - in my opinion - the easiest of the main engines available that would also be capable of doing these things. Why don't you get stuck in and see for yourself? There is a fully functional free version available that you can "test drive". You can't create an executable with it, but it's feature complete other than that and by the time you'd need to make an EXE you'd know whether you want to purchase a licence or not anyway. :)

alandor

Thanks, yes I will install Game Maker and learn more about its features. Because I don’t know much about this I just wanted to make sure it could handle the networking features I need before i invest time in it.