• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Is copying objects between project files possible? (2.3.0.529)

N

Nathan

I'd like to copy a few objects and put them into a new project so that I can use that as a testing sandbox and simplify everything for sharing as I'm having trouble with one thing in a very complicated game, and don't want to upload the game for people to look at the issue. I tried copying the object folders in the project folder in the Windows Explorer window and pasting them into the object folder of a new project with no luck. Is there a way to copy the objects and edit them in a new project? Or do we still need to duplicate the project and spend the time to delete everything I DON'T need out of the project?

N

Nathan

Tools -> Create Local Package
So do I highlight the ones I want first, then use this option? Does that create a new project with the included objects/sprites? (I'm not at the computer with GMS at the moment)

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I tried copying the object folders in the project folder in the Windows Explorer window and pasting them into the object folder of a new project with no luck. Is there a way to copy the objects and edit them in a new project? Or do we still need to duplicate the project and spend the time to delete everything I DON'T need out of the project?
Drag the YY files into GM and it should work. There's some metadata keeping track of what assets belong in the project so just copying the folders won't add them the project (there's nothing linking to them).

In 2.3.0 there's a bug where importing a GM asset imports its entire path, so hopefully you have the same structure in every project. I personally prefer opening the events in a separate text editor and copypasting the code manually.

You can also drag raw image and sound files into GM to add them as sprites/audio assets, it's pretty handy.

N

Nathan

The local package actually worked great. Not sure if it's a new addition to 2.3, but glad it's a thing! Had to look it up in the manual for a quick walkthrough, but it worked flawlessly!