• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Is anyone not switching to GMS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RetroBacon

I have recently joined the GMS2 beta, and I honestly haven't felt a strong need to switch over. I'm not sure if I'll eventually have a change of heart, though, considering I was pretty stubborn to leave GameMaker 8. I'm just curious to see if there are any of you that plan to continue using GameMaker Studio 1, and for what reason.

Roderick

There are a lot of posts already where people are expressing dissatisfaction, and giving their reasons. I imagine that most of these people are planning on sticking with 1.x, or jumping ship to another IDE.

Myself, I'm sticking with 1.4 for now, because it's still perfectly functional, and I can't really justify another expenditure right now.
I'll likely upgrade during a sale, or after I've seen some kind of return on what I've already spent.

Jabbers

I'm not switching yet because I have a large project built in 1.4 and it would take a lot of work to convert it for GMS2, which isn't fully released yet anyway.

dietzribi

not switching **yet** because of:
1. it's still new and probably not stable enough
2. doesn't have html5 export yet (i think?) which is very important to me
3. i'm mostly working on my laptop and i find gms2 very hard to use on a smaller screen
4. i already know gms1 quite well and don't see enough benefit in switching to 2

Not switching yet, because I'm still waiting for Nintendo Switch support, I'm in the middle of a large project, and it's still new and unstable anyway. I'll probably pick it up in six months or so, when its features get a bit more tied down and they finally make Switch support official.

Andrey

I will support old project on the 1.4, but and I going to create a new project on 2 (with mobile module). GMS 2+ I see it as a promising engine and I'm waiting for interesting improvements and development.

N

Nexusrex

I'm not going to switch, As I don't have money to get it. And I did win GMS Pro in a giveaway. So yeah. xD

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
and they finally make Switch support official
You're being optimistic aren't you??? What do you mean "finally" and "official"? You make it sound like it's been unofficially confirmed which it most certainly has not.... This is how rumours start and expectations get hyped. This has not been talked about by any YYG staff, officially nor unofficially, so don't hold your breath...

J

joakimFF

We will finish our current game in 1.4 but as soon as its done we will port it over to GM:S2. Cant wait to start working full time in the new IDE. :)

MilesThatch

There are definite features that have sped up level design and development in general. It's not like YoYo is going to abandon the project now so the switch to 2.0 is inevitable. Might as well get used to the new workflow and features now...

GMWolf

aka fel666
I will now be using GMS 2 for most of my projects. Even though i am complaining a lot about it, ITs still very much better than 1.4. I think layers, tiles and cameras alone are already quite amazing.

yes, it is very unfortunate that YYG went with such a stupid IDE design. Its prettymuch there just to look cool, and does slow down development. But everything else is great. I would still recomend it.
+, when plugins are a thing, Im sure to make the whole IDE work with tabbed windows.

You're being optimistic aren't you??? What do you mean "finally" and "official"? You make it sound like it's been unofficially confirmed which it most certainly has not.... This is how rumours start and expectations get hyped. This has not been talked about by any YYG staff, officially nor unofficially, so don't hold your breath...
Um....

It's coming. I believe I you guys. Don't be coy, Nocturne. :p

Last edited:

Ubu

I will now be using GMS 2 for most of my projects. Even though i am complaining a lot about it, ITs still very much better than 1.4. I think layers, tiles and cameras alone are already quite amazing.

yes, it is very unfortunate that YYG went with such a stupid IDE design. Its prettymuch there just to look cool, and does slow down development. But everything else is great. I would still recomend it.
+, when plugins are a thing, Im sure to make the whole IDE work with tabbed windows.
This sums it up pretty well for me too. Already bought it.

csanyk

I'll be switching to GMS2 as soon as it's out of Beta. I may still work in GMS1.4 for existing projects, it just depends, but 2 is the future, and once it's ready for production work, there won't be any reason for me to start any new projects in 1.4.

One of my major requirements for GMS2 is for it to be stable when my laptop hibernates/sleeps. I haven't seen much indication from YYG that they have any confidence in their ability to fix this defect, blaming video drivers and not being able to replicate the problem in their own environment, and if it doesn't get fixed, it will be hard for me. I hope they prioritize fixing this issue.

Chaser

Think for now I will use both, I use html module, so there is no reason for me to switch perminantly to GMS2 right now, but the Sprite editor is a major improvement which I will use, and transfer the sprites over, in the mean time I will use the time to get used to using GMS2, and once the HTML version is released il will then make the move, and also by then there would of been updates and see a lot of bugs and user issues resolved.
I'm really keen on the update that allows the conversion of drag n drop in real time, this will be so good for learning to use GML.

N

NizarPlayz

I'm sticking to Game Maker 8 because:
1.I never used GMS
2.Its not comfortable for me
3.I Don't know much about GMS or GMS:2
4.I like GM 8

Posh Indie

That Guy
Already made the switch. It doesn't take long to become competent with GMS2 if you have been using 1.4. I found the transition from 8.1 to Studio to be very easy, and Studio to Studio 2 to be even easier. I can imagine 8.1 to Studio 2 would be just as easy as 8.1 to Studio. If you have the available funds I highly recommend switching to GMS2 once your required exporters become available.

You could also try
...jumping ship to another IDE...
and pay monthly fees for the only decent alternatives. I like to own what I pay for, maybe that's just me.

Stubbjax

It hard ro realise how much it brings to the table untill you use the features everyday!
I don't think it brings a lot of things in terms of enhancing actual game play or creation, which are the most important factors for me. GMS seems to primarily focus on portability (export to multiple platforms), integration (ads, game centres, etc.), standardisation and efficiency/optimisation. While they are all pretty important and substantial changes/additions, they're all predominantly external. My point is that I don't feel there would be a whole lot of difference between a game built in GM8 and one built in GMS. Nevertheless, I can create something in GM8 and then drop it into GMS, add some GMS features and export to another platform and be just as well off, if not better off due to having the benefit of both worlds. There are some things about GM8 that are just better, such as its portability, speed, human-readable error messages and the fact that it just works.

My point is that I don't feel there would be a whole lot of difference between a game built in GM8 and one built in GMS.
Well, once a game is compiled, it really doesn't too much how it was created. The features and additions in GMS2 primarily effect HOW a game is created by the game creator. The features and additions and the new UI are intended to make game creation faster and allow for more creativity. The update to v2 is less about the finished product (the game you complete), but about how you get there. ;)

L

Lotias

I don't think it brings a lot of things in terms of enhancing actual game play or creation, which are the most important factors for me. GMS seems to primarily focus on portability (export to multiple platforms), integration (ads, game centres, etc.), standardisation and efficiency/optimisation. While they are all pretty important and substantial changes/additions, they're all predominantly external. My point is that I don't feel there would be a whole lot of difference between a game built in GM8 and one built in GMS. Nevertheless, I can create something in GM8 and then drop it into GMS, add some GMS features and export to another platform and be just as well off, if not better off due to having the benefit of both worlds. There are some things about GM8 that are just better, such as its portability, speed, human-readable error messages and the fact that it just works.
One word - shaders. Graphical capabilities are actually greatly extended in GM:S.
Also, speed and portability seem to be things you listed as pros for both that the other doesn't have - what? GM:S is definitely more portable and efficient, by your definition. Also, most GM:S things seem to just work, if you're just working on a Windows game in the first place - which is basically the only GM8 export.

Side note, I'm switching because my game requires new features I'm hoping for - one of the biggest is reverb control.

F

fxokz

i dont think ill ever get to the point where i have fully mastered every aspect of gms1.4 so why the hell would i buy gms 2?

L

Lotias

i dont think ill ever get to the point where i have fully mastered every aspect of gms1.4 so why the hell would i buy gms 2?
Because you'll probably feel like that no matter what engine you try, and it's better to stick with more current engines and IDEs.

JacPete

gm:s2 is getting more performance, so there is no question to upgrade for me. so i already got it, but dont use it at the moment cause its in beta state.

Stubbjax

One word - shaders. Graphical capabilities are actually greatly extended in GM:S.
Yeah I know, but my point was more about the gameplay rather than fancy visual effects.

Also, speed and portability seem to be things you listed as pros for both that the other doesn't have - what?
I was referring to the IDE. I can run GM8 off a flash drive with no internet connection. Plus it takes 2 seconds to boot up.

Also, most GM:S things seem to just work, if you're just working on a Windows game in the first place - which is basically the only GM8 export.
Not in my experience. I've had crashes, compatability issues and a plethora of bugs that were not my own doing, none of which I have ever experienced with GM8 or below.

L

Lotias

Yeah I know, but my point was more about the gameplay rather than fancy visual effects.

I was referring to the IDE. I can run GM8 off a flash drive with no internet connection. Plus it takes 2 seconds to boot up.

Not in my experience. I've had crashes, compatability issues and a plethora of bugs that were not my own doing, none of which I have ever experienced with GM8 or below.
Believe me, GM8 had its share of incredibly annoying issues... it tends to vary randomly by PC to PC, or even by individual installations. Plus, I've never really seen any of those problems in GM:S.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, this is closed... Let's try to keep the negativity to a minimum here. I mean, talking about why NOT to change is kind of counterproductive... how about someone making a nice positive topic about all the reasons why they ARE changing instead? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.