• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Irrational numbers

B

Blaster

So I'm having trouble with coming up with an equation. I'm essentially trying to do 16 / 90 but it leads to 0.17777777777. Is there any way to work with this? I tried inserting testing the formula, but from what I see, it rounds to 0.18 making the objects move farther than they should messing up the alignment.

DanMunchie

What is the number being used for?
If you are calculating it with 16/90 then indeed it will be 1.777... - Where are you seeing 1.8?

B

Blaster

What is the number being used for?
If you are calculating it with 16/90 then indeed it will be 1.777... - Where are you seeing 1.8?
I'm using it to pseudo-rotate the screen. With 90 degrees being the initial rotation. In order to make a block look good at 180 degrees, there is a change in value for a variable, 0 - 16. So I wanted to see if I could divide 16 by 90 and get a value I could multiply by the current rotation so the formula would work.
I tried running the program, but at 90 degrees, the images do not line up. I decided to draw text to the screen to see if I messed up anything. The variable that goes from 0-16 worked fine along with rotation showing the right numbers. However the 1.777... was reduced to 1.8. Afterwards, I subbed in 1.8 to see if that was really the number they used, and it was the same result. It's a small difference, but it overshoots everything I have on my grid

DanMunchie

The 1.8 from text is not too surprising, depending how you have set it up, draw_text can round values to a certain number of decimal places.

Why not just use variable = 16/90 as the stored value?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
draw_text() and string() rounds to 2 digits, if you use string_format() or look at the value from debug there are more digits than that.

Having a limited number of digits is a natural consequence of finite storage on a computer, live with it. This is not a symbolic algebra environment, most non-integer quotients have no exact representations here. You have to change your programming such that small errors like this don't matter, such as using a view to rotate the screen or drawing everything slightly bigger so that the gaps fill in themselves.

Also, I don't think you have a clue what "irrational" means if you think 16/90 is it. Irrational means "cannot be written as a fraction", but you just wrote it out as a fraction.

Reactions: Pup
P

Pup

draw_text() and string() rounds to 2 digits, if you use string_format() or look at the value from debug there are more digits than that.

Having a limited number of digits is a natural consequence of finite storage on a computer, live with it. This is not a symbolic algebra environment, most non-integer quotients have no exact representations here. You have to change your programming such that small errors like this don't matter, such as using a view to rotate the screen or drawing everything slightly bigger so that the gaps fill in themselves.

Also, I don't think you have a clue what "irrational" means if you think 16/90 is it. Irrational means "cannot be written as a fraction", but you just wrote it out as a fraction.
FrostyCat? More like SaltyCat. Thank you for the knowledge though :3

B

Blaster

The 1.8 from text is not too surprising, depending how you have set it up, draw_text can round values to a certain number of decimal places.

Why not just use variable = 16/90 as the stored value?

I'll try using the variable that way when I get time to work on it later today, thanks for the help

Well I'll try not to do that. Thanks for the info

TheouAegis

16/90 will still have rounding errors. You cannot divide 256 or any power thereof evenly by 90. Bits will be dropped and you will get rounding errors along the way.