• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Iron Snout | updated version released for Android as Iron Snout +!

SnoutUp

QUITE BIG NEWS!
I managed to put all the goodies Steam version had and release a separate Android version called Iron Snout+. It would mean a lot to me if you could download and try it out!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snoutup.ironsnoutsteamed

Huge thanks!

---
Iron Snout is a arcade fighting game with limited movement & simple, but very responsive controls. In this game you control an aggressive piglet, who has to fight against unlimited hordes of wolves.

Main character can't move horizontally and all his fighting moves are controlled by arrow keys or taps + swipes in mobile versions.

Steam version has an experimental two player volleyball game mode (inspired by one of the older Tekken games):

Web and mobile versions are a bit simplified comparing to the Steam release, but still can be pretty fun to play:

I'm currently working on a new area for Steam version, which I promised players a while ago and already delayed a lot due to my motivation issues. Will be released for free and I have no idea where will I go next from there. Too many game ideas, too little time!

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
R

Reventador

AWESOME DUDE! Your games are always well polished products!

M

mazimadu

I don't know how many times I have to day this, but I must

This game is FUN. It feels like I am at one of my martial arts classes where I had to learn reaction timing. This game is much deeper than it leads on, since I can grab flying cleavers in mid air, then throw them at the guy behind me before fan kicking the guy over me. The game gets much harder as enemies fill the screen. I think what it needs is a special attack that hits all directions based on a meter that fills. My personal best was 50.

I also find the game to be quite technically good as well. I played the game outside the HTML iframe at full resolution and all the graphics assets scaled quite well. My only gripe is the fact that the keyboard doesn't lock onto the game so pressing down scrolls the page down.

Good game, I recommend all to play!!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Glad to see this is back. I just played the HTML5 version, and had great fun with it. Here's my thoughts on it:

Gameplay
Despite being restricted to one spot, there's actually a lot for players to do. They can jump, double jump and flip, and strike left and right. Occasionally (with the right timing?), they can grab the weapon (axe or knife) from an attacking wolf and use it on them. Those weapon-stealing events baffle me somewhat. I haven't figured out if there's a certain timing that causes it, or just an element of randomness added by design. Either way, it's fun when it happens.

There's an appealing selection of attacks, too. Most are just simple charges from the left or right. But sometimes a clever wolf will leap into the air and try to land on the pig. On one occasion, a wolf seemed to ride me "piggy-back" style for a while. A few of them came flying by overhead with rockets strapped to their backs. Others attacked "pogo stick" style jumping on their blades. Were some wearing antlers? Not sure what's up with that.

So despite the simple controls, the game has surprising replay value -- largely due to the variety of attacks. And during battles, there's a running commentary on the quality of the hits: double hit combo, three hit combo, etc. And the number of kills is displayed when the inevitable finally happens. So players are encouraged to re-start and try another round to get a higher score.

Graphics and Sound
The game really excels here. The animation is smooth and lifelike (as far as I can imagine pigs doing ninja flips and wolfs carrying knives). The vector style art is simple but very expressive. And the sounds effects compliment the battle action perfectly. The combination of grunts, fist strikes, and knife slices sounds a bit gruesome, but it comes off as humorous. Sort of like those cheesy Chinese Kung-Fu movie scenes. In fact, I get the sense the game was partly inspired by those films.

So far, I've only tried the web version. But I'll certainly try the free Steam version. I'm a great fan of simple arcade style gameplay. And this game was satisfying and very addicting. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
N

Nexusrex

Very happy to see this game! I've been waiting much time. I've been even following the gifs you did post on facebook. lol
Here is my thoughts on the HTML version:

Gameplay:
Standing in one place may look like you are unable to do many things. But, you feel like you are in a funny action movie! You can do flips, jumps, in-air attacks. I didn't expect i will manage to do a 30 hit combo. lol
Simplistic, but with a great replay value!
I did actually like the usage of, almostly everything? Enemies' bodies, heads, weapons!

Graphics and Sounds:
Man, i love your graphics since "Shurican". This is really an awesome graphics work! Really smooth! The sound effects are great and humorous (I regonize some from Shurican, the explosion and the enemy death and when you reverse a knife with another weapon. lol)

I will try the free Steam version! I'm a fan of this gameplay style.
Very satisfying and addicting!
Recommended!

SnoutUp

Thank you for great responses, everyone! Iron Snout is my favorite child (sorry, other games, you're just not good enough), so it's always nice to hear nice words about it. Motivates me to keep adding content to it. I'm still waiting & hoping for Pewdiepie or any of the top youtube gaming channels to play it...

I highly recommend to try the Steam version, which is quite superior to HTML5 & mobile builds. That's the one I'm going to push content updates to, since improved graphics and background layering are too much for browsers & slower mobile devices to handle. A new area is on its way too! Planning to publish it next week.

S

seanm

Christ dude, 590k owners on steam?!
Imagine if you had made the game cost a dollar....or 50 cents.... :p

Congratz though man. Very simple but fun game. Hopefully helps you out in the future as well

edit: though your playtime distribution suggests the game gets old pretty fast. With half of your players playing < 40 minutes. Plants vs zombies is very simple, but they string you along well enough to get you to play for hours. Just something to think about.

SnoutUp

Yeah, that was pretty crazy release. It dropped down pretty fast and I'm back at almost square one. Not much long-lasting effect to be seen, unfortunately, but I'm working on update and slowly contacting Youtube channels.
It's nice to imagine, what would've happened with a price tag, but likely the amount of owners would be 1000 times less and the reviews wouldn't be this good (I don't think it's really worth a dollar, even if people sell worse games on Steam). A huge part of those are players from poorer countries, who were excited about fun free game. Which is nice.

All of my games get old pretty fast, it's a known issue, which I'm struggling to solve :) I know that unlockables help, but in Iron Snout's case they're extremely complicated to add.

Congratz though man. Very simple but fun game. Hopefully helps you out in the future as well

edit: though your playtime distribution suggests the game gets old pretty fast. With half of your players playing < 40 minutes. Plants vs zombies is very simple, but they string you along well enough to get you to play for hours. Just something to think about.

TehCupcakes

Yeah, then he would have had like 2000 players... (See comparable comparison.) Which is still decent money if you're trying to profit, but doesn't provide the same kind of exposure or positive feedback that a free game does.

Anyway, I found the game on Steam and had good fun with it. Yes, it has limited content, but for a free game I am just happy to have a good experience regardless of how long it is. Didn't even know it was made with GM until I came upon this thread. XD

I only have one complaint... The "Many Punch Pig" achievement takes a long time to get. Idk Steam's policy on changing achievements, so I don't know if this is even possible, but I thought I would just throw it out there. It's the only achievement I'm missing and I'm currently at 11,326/25,000. As a general rule, I don't like achievements that are really grindy - in particular, if they take significantly longer to obtain than the skill-based achievements. Achievements can add motivation to keep playing because you want to reach a certain goal, but grinding achievements really don't add any motivation if that's all you have left and the game already has limited replay value.

SnoutUp

I only have one complaint... The "Many Punch Pig" achievement takes a long time to get. Idk Steam's policy on changing achievements, so I don't know if this is even possible, but I thought I would just throw it out there. It's the only achievement I'm missing and I'm currently at 11,326/25,000. As a general rule, I don't like achievements that are really grindy - in particular, if they take significantly longer to obtain than the skill-based achievements. Achievements can add motivation to keep playing because you want to reach a certain goal, but grinding achievements really don't add any motivation if that's all you have left and the game already has limited replay value.
I know, it's a frustrating mistake from my part. I was hoping that with time I would add more content and it would be easier to reach grindy updates, but that didn't happen and those achievements remained so very unbalanced. I didn't want to remove or change them, because people, who already got them, like to get unreasonably angry about such changes. I probably still change them with the next update and hope that nobody will notice :)

L

Linkforce

This game is brilliant, SnoutUp. Showed all my friends the game and they all enjoyed. The fact that you're still going to update it is amazing, good work with this game!

SnoutUp

New Iron Snout level is available for testing using code "indiedevhour" in Steam's properties of the game.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
I love this game, I used to play it like half a year ago, but now i see it again, and I'm going to play it again as soon as i get my phone fixed

SnoutUp

I love this game, I used to play it like half a year ago, but now i see it again, and I'm going to play it again as soon as i get my phone fixed
Thank you! I'm actually planning to publish "Iron Snout Remastered" as a new separate mobile release with all the changes which were made in the Steam version. Separate because there are many people with lower-end phones playing older mobile Iron Snout and those phones wouldn't handle updated graphics well.

G

Grimlock

I just got it on steam. Pretty awesome game! I like the level of creativity you put into the enemy types, there's a lot of variety! The top 10 leaderboards list is a really professional touch as well as the menu system as a whole. Player statistics is a great feature too. This game is super polished from what I've seen so far, nicely done!