iOS iOS, Android, HTML5 Helicopter game meets Flappy Bird

Download:
Flappy Fly V1.0 just released on Android and now on iOS too!! (Only took an extra three weeks but I'll take it).

And if mobile isn't your thing you can play out a rough port of the gameplay with HTML5 here.

Store Description:
The gameplay in Flappy Fly is simple: touch the screen to fly while avoiding the obstacles. Mastering the gameplay is difficult...and don't forget to collect the light orbs or else you'll be left in the dark!

Help this flapping firefly spread his wings to far off places!

YouTube trailer and gameplay footage.

16 bit pixel art pick up and play arcade style game, easy to play but hard to master physics. If you remember the old school Helicotper flash game this game was inspired by it.

I could use any and all feedback as it's been a while since I've released an app! Trying to get back into the swing of things so let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:
A

Alex_Beach

My only complaint is that the glow around the firefly is drawn in front of the obstacles, which makes every object in the game look like a background object. I think the hazardous objects should be drawn in front of the glow to signal they are on the player's plane. Also, there's not really a visual queue for these objects you have to dodge. Maybe have a thick black border around them, or add a slight glow around them.

My only complaint is that the glow around the firefly is drawn in front of the obstacles, which makes every object in the game look like a background object. I think the hazardous objects should be drawn in front of the glow to signal they are on the player's plane. Also, there's not really a visual queue for these objects you have to dodge. Maybe have a thick black border around them, or add a slight glow around them.
Hey that's a very interesting catch, thanks for taking the time to look at my game.

I think you're right, I'll go back and change that since I think that does match better.

That's also a good point with the background objects, I'll try a thicker border but I'll keep messing with it to see what looks best.

The glow is a bit overwhelming. Wonder if it’s alpha was reduced how that would look?

Looks well done overall.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll take another look at it, but since the glow is part of the gameplay (since it'll decrease as the screen also gets darker) I'm not sure I would change it much, but tweaking the alpha a bit wouldn't hurt.

It's interesting the things you notice about your own games after taking some time away from it after working on it every day.

Toque

Sorry I dont have android to try it out. So my opinion is pretty limited there. Good luck on it. let me know when its on iOS.