iOS iOS 11 Screen Edge "Dead Zones"

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by jcop, Nov 28, 2017.

1. jcop

jcop Member

On iOS 11 I am seeing dead zones in the 60 or so pixels around every edge of the screen. Touches do not register here until after you hold them for nearly a second. It looks like this is due to iOS overlaying a GestureRecognizer on the edges of the screen to detect multitasking and dock swipes. There are some discussions online for iOS app developers on how to detect touch even with these in place.

Note that I have tried reading mouse_x, mouse_y, device_mouse_x, device_mouse_y, device_mouse_x_raw, and device_mouse_y_raw along with mouse_check_button and device_mouse_check_button. All of these methods exhibit the same behavior. I have confirmed this is not happening with my same app on older versions of iOS.

I really want to place controls near the edge of the display but this makes it very difficult. One interesting note is that on iPad Pro if you use the Apple Pencil it isn't an issue because the Pencil doesn't work for multitasking gestures therefore the pencil location is always detected properly immediately.

Is there anything that can be updated in the iOS runner to work around this issue? Any other suggestions from anyone?

2. rwkay

rwkay YoYo Games Staff YYG Staff

can you point me at those online discussions, we have always thought that this was a hardware limitation but if we can get round that it would something interesting to work on the runner

Russell

3. jcop

jcop Member

4. jcop

jcop Member

5. rwkay

OK I have updated the runner with the changes in that last article and it seems to be better, I will get this checked in and it will be out in the public version after next (we have already branched and in code freeze for the next public version).

Russell

IndianaBones, jcop and Noblezim711 like this.
  6. jcop

jcop Member

That is great news. Thanks!

7. silengames

silengames Member

Any chance to get update for GMS 1.4?

8. rwkay

The fix is in common code so any update to 1.4 should have this fix in it as well...

Russell

silengames likes this.
  9. silengames

silengames Member

This bug was fixed for GMS2. It is great news. But what about GMS1.4? I tried to use libyoyo*.a from GMS2 in GMS1.4 but of course it is not works ;) Looking forward for new EA or Beta for GMS1.4

10. rwkay

We are preparing a new 1.x update in the near future and this fix should be in that release.... I do not know when it is coming out.

Russell