• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

RPG engine devlog

Hello!
This is the inventory system that i built in GMS2. It has multiple components and i will present them in separate clips:
Inventory series - 01 Player's inventory
Inventory series - 02 Storage boxes in the world
Inventory series - 03 The merchant (buy/sell mechanic) (+multiple tabs, +randomly populate inventory)
Inventory series - 04 Crafting bench + Recipe scroll (X+Y=Z mechanic)
05 Fighting dummies - ranged weapons
06 Fighting dummies - melee and ranged weapons
08 Dressing the player
09 Character creation pipeline - from modelling to animation to spritesheet

I'll make the assets available in some way or another. I'm working on it.

- items are defined with width and height so they can occupy one slot or more;
- items can be moved;
- items can be stacked within a limit defined for every item;
- items can be thrown from inventory;
- items can be rotated 90 degrees in inventory;
- items can be equiped in the equipment slots;
- some items can be "used" within the inventory (ex: bread can be eaten to increase hp).
- they exist in the level and are themselves like an inventory - they have slots;
- multiple objects can be added in a level and they can be different sizes - editable from the room;
- player use them to store additional items that don't fit in player's inventory.
- they exist in the level and are themselves like an inventory - they have slots (the number of slots on x and y can be changed in the room editor);
- there are multiple tabs on a merchan't inventory for each item class (ex: weapons, clothes, misc) (multiple tabs can be added, named);
- these inventories randomly populate with items appropriate for each class;
- through a script, specific items can be added in any of the merchan't inventories (for example, if you need a specific vendor to have a specific item, it can be solved easily);
- player can buy items from a merchant;
- player can sell items to a merchant;
- player can recycle items at a merchant (this means that you can give an item from you inventory, you get the money for it, but the item is destroyed. You do this if a merchant doesn't have space to buy your item);
4. Crafting bench:
- it's itself an object that can be taken in the inventory or can be deployed;
- you can use it to combine two items to generate another one, according to hard-coded recipes;
- recipes can be added to the game with one line of code;
Recipe scroll - this is an item which contains a recipe. The recipe it contains can be chosen in the room editor, in Variable definitions window.
There are two types of ranged weapons: one-handed and two-handed. To use any of them you have to also equip the appropriate ammo. When you have two weapons in hands, you use left and right mouse buttons to fight.
There are two types of melee weapons: one-handed and two-handed. When you have two weapons in hands, you use left and right mouse buttons to fight.

I'm looking forward to build some kind of RPG engine to use in my future games, but i'm trying to make the assets as customizable as possible so other GMS users can use them in their own way.

I hope you enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

OnLashoc

I just bought a couple Inventory assets after not wanting to spend a considerable amount of time developing one.

Now I feel like I'm going to have to anyway because neither of them are that easy to implement in my game. Mine is a Space combat RPG where the inventory is a cargobay and the paper doll is a ship. No crafting involved. No additional storage chests. No external cook / craft bench. Like I said the available inventory assets just don't suit my needs.

If you could keep projects like mine and others that aren't minecraft style inventory clones, that would be great!

Last edited:
I just bought a couple Inventory assets after not wanting to spend a considerable amount of time developing one.

Now I feel like I'm going to have to anyway because neither of them are that easy to implement in my game. Mine is a Space combat RPG where the inventory is a cargobay and the paper doll is a ship. No crafting involved. No additional storage chests. No external cook / craft bench. Like I said the available inventory assets just don't suit my needs.

If you could keep projects like mine and others that aren't minecraft style inventory clones, that would be great!
Hi! i'm sorry for your dissapointment. I don't know what you mean by paper doll.
My inventory system is made up of multiple objects: one parent object that handles the clicking, grabing, putting down items, etc, while the other objects are children which have extra options - multiple tabs, buy/sell option, etc.. The good part is that the code doesn't run if the window of the specific inventory is closed. So no processing power needed beside checking if it's open or not.
So if you only need the inventory, that's fine, you can use only that. I just updated the description of the thread with the second clip. From what you said, that's what you need. The storage box.

Yep, thank you! :)

Paperdoll is the character with slots to put items on and affect their stats i.e. - armor, weapons, etc.
I see. How did you define your items? I made mine with constructors.
Ok then, i'll let you know here when i upload the assets. I have to prepare a short documentation.

Hi. Intresting. Like that bigger items take up more space. Can you make a crafting bench with this system? I also made an inventory system I used it for a Minecraft-like 2D skyblock game. See more in this thread.
I made a crafting bench. It's very simple, it has 3 slots. You put two items to generate another one. Two days later i'll post that clip on youtube and i'll reply to you here, again.
I'll take a look at yours. Thanks for sharing!