Steam Intrude

F

Filuto

gmcIntrude.png

Intrude is a first-person shooter inspired by old FPS titles like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.

There is an old underground base, abandoned long time ago, suddenly taken over by some
kind of private military and emitting a strange signal. Your mission is to get in, find your way
up through fifteen levels in one of three game modes and destroy the source of that signal.
There is a lot of hidden data scattered across the base. Try to find as much data as you can
to find out who they are and what they are up to.

Steam store page
Twitter

Trailer:

Screenshots:
2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Update: Patch 1.1.0 which includes Level Editor is now playable on Beta branch.

developed by Michal Kruba ; music by Mikael Kinnander

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Warren Long

That is fantastic, so awe inspiring! Definitely something I inspire to be able to make one day.

A 2d Quake style game, with that classic esports feel!

M

Misty

Not a big fan of wolfenstein clone's gridlocked and flatlands environment.

Heretic and Doom had a much more psychologically palatable and mysterious environment, the level designs weren't cubelocked and there were z structures and interesting areas.

G

gn.fur

So this is just a Wolfenstein clone? Any new ideas, unique mechanics?

L

Leon Oscar Kidando

Holly smokes guy. This looks absolutely stunning. Have you got tutorials on how to create fps in GM Studio? I've failed to get upto-date tuts on making FPS games like this on the websssss. But this is just amazing man.

G

gn.fur

Holly smokes guy. This looks absolutely stunning. Have you got tutorials on how to create fps in GM Studio? I've failed to get upto-date tuts on making FPS games like this on the websssss. But this is just amazing man.
It's just 2D TDS with 3D decorations. It's not that hard to do, there are many examples of 3D games like this one, even from GM8 times.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I approved this for the Made with GameMaker forum, but I made a mistake. Since the game hasn't been released yet, this topic belongs in the WIP forum for now.

We can move it back to the other forum after release.

The trailers look great, so good luck with this.

F

Filuto

gn.fur:
It's basicly Wolfenstein. There are few things added to this "standart Wolfenstein formula" .Secrets are done a bit differently, colored key cards, collectibles which you need to decrypt a message at the end, game modes with a slight twist, projectiles and explosions.

Leon:
It's basicaly a Top-down shooter. Everything happens in 2D. I'm sure there are a lot of 3D tutorials. If not, look at GM documentation (d3d_ functions). There is everything you need to know.

M

Mikael.K

I have played the game (i made the music), and i have to say it's a really fun and well made game. I highly recommend it!

RangerX

It's just 2D TDS with 3D decorations. It's not that hard to do, there are many examples of 3D games like this one, even from GM8 times.
gn.fur:
It's basicly Wolfenstein. There are few things added to this "standart Wolfenstein formula" .Secrets are done a bit differently, colored key cards, collectibles which you need to decrypt a message at the end, game modes with a slight twist, projectiles and explosions.

Leon:
It's basicaly a Top-down shooter. Everything happens in 2D. I'm sure there are a lot of 3D tutorials. If not, look at GM documentation (d3d_ functions). There is everything you need to know.

Can you guy really direct us towards tutorials you used for learning or other documentation than the manual? Because no its not simple if you don't have any 3D notions and looking at the d3d functions sure doesn't tell you how to organise it all and where to begin.

F

Filuto

It took me some time but I found it ! This is a good start. It will help you understand how all of this works. LINK.

Just a few tips for the future:
  • Use 4 different walls instead of 2 (1 for each side) with culling enabled.
  • draw_set_alpha_test + _test_ref_value will help you with alpha
  • use top-down game movement system with lengthdir_x and y. this will make your character slide along the walls perfectly if you do it right.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
OK, I see this is available on Steam now. So we can move this topic back to the Made with GameMaker forum.

TRP

Purchased! Truly outstanding work! A testament to an individuals dedication and the power of Game Maker! Great stuff....Keep on Chugging Never give up! I wish you much success!

C

ConsolCWBY

Not a big fan of wolfenstein clone's gridlocked and flatlands environment.
Then you will never know the goodness of Ken's Labrynth and what it wrought (he was 16!) Even Catacombs 3d needed to be created before Doom, et al. And OPs game looks smooth! So GOOD GOING OP! You have my respect!

Reactions: Roa
M

Misty

Then you will never know the goodness of Ken's Labrynth and what it wrought (he was 16!) Even Catacombs 3d needed to be created before Doom, et al. And OPs game looks smooth! So GOOD GOING OP! You have my respect!
I dunno man...that Ken's Labrynth game looks pretty awful. It's kind of like when you seduced by the fat dude on the street, he makes you feel like a princess, and years later can only think to nostalgic good memories of it. When really a hot dominatrix woud have been infinitely better than the fat dude on the street.

Metaphorically, here are some older FPS games that have REAL nostalgia:

C

ConsolCWBY

I dunno man...that Ken's Labrynth game looks pretty awful.
Well, my point was "everybody's gotta start somewhere". Without Ken's Lab, no Duke3D, Blood, or Shadow Warrior. While I enjoyed the early ID Tech, I much enjoyed Build Engine better. But to each their own. (IMHO, Hexen was better than Heretic.) Idk, maybe I liked Build because it was so non-PC - I'm a sucker for stupid humor. (Lo Wang > African Drug Lord in his trolling lol) Oh, I wish the days when people had a good sense of humor would come back... :'(
I can't wait to see how the OP progresses from here!

M

Misty

Why do people like Hexen more than Heretic? Talk about sense of humor? That's it right there.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Guys, this is getting off-topic and does no merit to the OP's game. If you want to discuss other 3D games and reminisce or get nostalgic, post in off-topic, but leave this topic for discussing the game Intrude only please... ;)

J

Jaqueta

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that the game lacks on Juice (at least from what I saw from the trailer).
The gameplay seems to be fast, solid, nice work there. However, it doesn't seem rewarding, for instance, when you shoot a guy with a rocket launcher, you expect him to blow up in several bits, painting the floor and walls red. When something explodes, put a nice screen shake, when you shot a weapon, it's a nice idea to put some recoil on the camera as well, also the sounds could be heavily improved.

This video shows what I'm talking about with examples.

GL. ;D

A

adval25

This looks pretty awesome. I've always loved the old school duke nukem/doom style graphics.