• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Introduction and suggestions

P

Patrik Westlin

Hi all,

Excited to be here. Been thinking of a few game ideas for a long time, just never gotten around to get started. So when a co-worker talked about GameMaker I saw an opportunity to get going. My first project has been a Space Invaders clone, of sorts. My biggest issue so far has been to get my head around where to put the different pieces of code and getting used to the IDE and GML (as code is my preferred weapon). My code background is mainly C# but lately it's been more PowerShell. Though arguably PowerShell is not a code language and more a scripting language. Anywhat, this is my first attempt at making games and it is a different adventure than my previous code projects. But so far I am having great fun. And my space invaders learning project has been great so far. But on this journey I stumbled on what I think is a bug, which I will try and report in a separate post, as I may very well be wrong. I have also thought up a few suggestions for future improvements I would like to share, hope you like them and/or expand upon them.

So here's the first one:

It would be nice if code blocks could be automatically generated. And in the first suggestion you should be given your choice of preference.
The second choice here could help beginners to not forget the end-of-line character. Even though it is unclear if it is needed, recommended, suggested or preferred.

My second mock-up looks like this:

When an object is created I noticed I pretty much did the same for most of them, so I thought it would be nice to have a template system in place to speed up the process of initializing objects. This can probably be used on other parts of GameMaker as well. I just haven't been that advanced yet. And as an expansion of this it would be nice if the IDE asked if code should be saved with the events template, just as it should ask if code should be loaded when selecting one to be imported or just setup blank events.

Well I think I'll give up here for now. Hope I haven't overstepped, newbie as I am.

Best regards
Patrik

Attachments

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
It would be nice if code blocks could be automatically generated. And in the first suggestion you should be given your choice of preference.
This is slightly confusing - at what condition? You can add a snippet for if-block in one or other style to have it filled out at once.
The second choice here could help beginners to not forget the end-of-line character. Even though it is unclear if it is needed, recommended, suggested or preferred.
Semicolons aren't required in overwhelming majority of situations - compiler raises an error in case of ambiguity
When an object is created I noticed I pretty much did the same for most of them, so I thought it would be nice to have a template system in place to speed up the process of initializing objects.
You may want object inheritance..? Otherwise, GMEdit makes it easy-enough to copy-paste multiple events at once, but I'm not sure if you can in built-in editor.