Introducing Xtend - The Setupless, Simplest, most Flexible, most Pixel-Perfect Display Scaler!

Lucas C

xtend-banner-marketplace.png
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I last posed around the GMC, but I'm so excited about my latest Marketplace asset I just had to share it with you all. This one has a long history for me, going all the way back to my very first Marketplace asset, originally released in 2014. I created it while prototyping a puzzle game one day and realizing what a challenge it is scaling to different windows and mobile device screens when your game requires a certain visible area at all times. I didn't want black bars, and nobody else does either, so I shared my display scaler with the world--and you noticed! It was a highly popular asset, but incredibly outdated by now. With the public release of GMS 2.3, I decided it was finally time to do better.

Xtend is not just an update to an older asset. It's a ground-up remake, and a complete re-thinking of the way display scaling is handled, taking full advantage of the latest features in GameMaker. Xtend automatically and intelligently resizes your games and applications to fill any window or display, desktop or mobile, with pixel precision and no black bars. It's easy to use and comes pre-configured to suit most projects, while also offering deep customization and powerful camera functions for even the most challenging scaling needs.

The best part: it's completely setupless.

That's right: want to know how to use Xtend? Add it to your project. Done. Seriously.

screenshot-one-fits-all.png screenshot-config.png screenshot-splitscreen.png screenshot-debug.png

Of course, that's not to say you can't do more with it if you want to! Xtend supports multiple scaling modes for different needs, and you can even mix and match them with multiple visible viewports simultaneously. No matter your project, there's a mode for you! Such as:
  • Linear - For desktop-style applications that need 1:1 screen real estate
  • Aspect - For games and interactive applications that need to fill the screen while preserving a base play area
  • Axis - For horizontal or vertical splitscreen
  • Pixel - For retro art styles that demand pixel perfection at any shape and size
All modes also support DPI scaling for windowed applications, ensuring consistent physical size across any screen resolution and pixel density. It's the real deal: change the DPI in your OS, and it'll change in Xtend.

Xtend even includes additional functions drawing regular sprites, objects, and surfaces relative to display scale.

Oh, and also, all platforms are supported! Mobile, HTML5, you name it.

Still not enough? Take a peek under the hood at any time with built-in debug statistics and hint boxes. You'll see exactly what's being scaled and how! Take it for a spin in the included demo, and learn more from detailed documentation! It's the complete package.

If any of that sounds interesting to you, please consider checking it out! Ditch those black bars and blurry pixels today!

Download Xtend
GameMaker Marketplace
Itch.io

View Documentation
XGASOFT Docs