Introduce Yourself

Yethwhinger

Hello.

I am a middle-aged GM:S 1.4 user from the USA. I started using GameMaker: Studio years ago, around the end of 2014. Since I was just getting started with game development, I liked how approachable GameMaker's tutorials made the learning process.

My favorite type of video game is the turn-based RPG, so I have spent most of my development time working on RPGs. I have been warned about how difficult RPGs are to make, but since I didn't have much desire to make any other type of video game, I worked on RPGs anyway. Nowadays, I do feel OK about working on other types of games.

My favorite aspects of game development are gameplay design and music composition.

nicognito

Username: nicognito
Old GMC Username:
Other usernames from past and present:

Name:
Nicolas
Age: the answer to life, the universe and everything (if you don't know, you can google it 😅)
Where you're from: France, but I moved to the US in 2006
How long you've been using Game Maker: I got my GM license back in 2017, had a cool crazy project idea, but then didn't do anything and moved on 😅 Now it's 2021, I'm motivated to work on my game idea.
Any cool games you've made: I'm still working on it 👨‍💻 Ah I made a Tetris and Snake game running on a JavaScript virtual machine (which my team developed in a previous company) running on old J2ME phones, i.e. old Nokia phones.

Other things about yourself: I'm a software development engineer by day, and it's always been my dream to make a video game. If I ever manage to release my project one day, I hope this will inspire and have an impact on people.

DTheChemist

Hello All,

Im fresh to this. 5 months now in trying my hand at 2D platformer coding. Unreal engine for me just to insert your own sprites was a headache it seemed and i got no where fast smh. Unity was OK for a while until coding simple script basic movements got annoying. I Got my character to run, jump and attack (even enemies moving) but Just to get my character to crouch was like a science project to pull off so i left that alone to try a different path. So here i am now at Game maker studio 2. Originally i was going to get it anyway before the other tools (since i heard it was best for 2D projects) but the price tag turned me away so i went to Unity Free for a good 3 months. Then some things fueled me to Return and to get the full license of GMS2 for the Windows UWP. I got tired of holding money anyway for a PS5 ill never get it seems plus Unity was becoming a drag just to code on it so here i am. The goal in the end is having my first game either on steam or xbox one. Its an investment

I have a ton of ideas. i draw. i sprite a bit. got more familiar with coding but i think i can really pull off something great if i can just get the wheels going in the right direction with this engine. So with that said can anyone point me in a solid right direction of docs and tutorials on Basic 2D platformer building? You know for full dynamic movement? run, jump, crouch, attack etc? So far i got my sprite to move horizontal and jump and thats it. I started last night. it seems easier to script this stuff on GMS2 than it is Unity but importing your own PNG sprites on GMS2 seems a bit off at times. on and off distortion

Anyway thats my rough introduction. ill be around the forum trying to learn the engine

Last edited:

Ericbomb

HI! I haven't been in the forums since the forums were migrated from the old site. I'm a database person, but been doing side projects since I was a teen in GMS. Fun stuff.

ohms

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community! If you're not sure what to say, here's a guide (use as much of it as you choose)

Username:
Old GMC Username:
Name:
How long you've been using Game Maker:
Any cool games you've made:
Other things about yourself:
Old thread: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=566197

EDIT: Just noticed the typo ("where's you're from"). I'm keeping it :)
EDIT2: Nevermind. It's really starting to bug me
EDIT3: Removed the Personality Type prompt, as such categorizations are ripe with controversy. If your still interested though you can take a Meyers-Briggs test here.
Username: Ohms or lllOHMSlll

Name: ask me personally.
Where you're from: Texas
How long you've been using Game Maker: a week.
Any cool games you've made: ive just been making the littletown game from the tutorial

Other things about yourself: 10 years military experience working as an electrician.

pj_Yama

Hi folks, great to be here & meet you all :) I figured it's about time i signup to these forums after sinking my teeth back into it this year.

Name: Joe
Where you're from: UK
How long you've been using Game Maker: On and off since the olden days of 5.1 (2004ish?)
Any cool games you've made: I think most of them are lost behind a username i've long forgotten on the old GMG forums! I'm currently working on a mobile game in my down time called Brixa: Block Push

Other things about yourself: Game maker actually created the foundation for my portfolio & career to break full time into the games industry as a game designer about 10 years ago (Yay Game Maker! <3)

AnthonyRose

Username: AnthonyRose

Name: I'd preffer to be asked personally instead (no my username does NOT contain my name).
How long you've been using Game Maker: I started using it all the way back when GMS1 was made free but didn't use it for long and forgot about it, I started to use it again last year soon after the bad virus stuff happened and been learning how to actually use it and all of that since then.
Any cool games you've made: Only one which currently is in beta and it's called Moldermind

Other things about yourself: As a solo developer I learned how to do simple and small pixel art, chiptunes and retro sound effects. When I decided to start with game development I saw game maker (GMS1) as the better option for me, especially because when I obtained it, it was free at the time.

HeadlessOne

Username: HeadlessOne
Other usernames from past and present: Hamsterhill

Name: Hamish
Where you're from: New Zealand
How long you've been using Game Maker: on and off since highschool so... 16 years
Any cool games you've made: Willys magical adventure on android

Other things about yourself: I've always loved creating simple little games for me and my friends to play, had abit of a gap but i've paticipated in afew game jams over the last year or 2 and really enjoyed it so now that i have abit more free time I'm looking to get back into it.

JayArnold

Username: JayArnold

Name: Josh Arnold
Where you're from: Houston, Texas
How long you've been using Game Maker: 12 YEARS
Ive made a few games in the past but all were removed when the old website went down unfortunately i had no copies :(
but Ive been working on a game for 4 years called
Crystal Quest. It will be available on phones later this year, currently only WINDOWS.

My main thing is Music Production, I work with hundreds of rappers around the US and make beats and record their music. My credits list include: Trey Songz, E-40, Snootie Wild, 1020Meezy, Atari Jones, and more!

Follow me on
INSTAGRAM to keep up with everything game and music related I do!

Username: TravisELord I guess
Old GMC Username: It’s been so long I don’t remember
Other usernames from past and present: Other places I’ve gone by Boxxy108 or Bloody more recently
Name: Travis
Where you're from: Originally New Hampshire, now in New Mexico
How long you've been using Game Maker: I used both version 5 and 8 back in my teens but have not exactly kept up with everything til recently
Any cool games you've made: I only ever finished one called Super Mario LOL and looking back it probably wasn’t that good. Don’t have the file anymore and it’s probably lost to many many years ago, shame cuz I’d like to look back on it
I’m both an autist and an artist, been gaming since I was 3-4, work at some solar panel company now but would love to try to make at least some living off one of my passions. Some inspirations in particular have been Yoko Taro, Suda51, Swery, but especially Toby Fox, but then there are others like Calliope Mori that might not be doing the same thing but who still seem to work hard at what they do. Have been trying to learn some music but haven’t got very far.​

ELV Games

Username: ElvGames
Old GMC Username: noone
Other usernames from past and present: don't have any, ElvGames since ever!

Name: ElvGames?:cool:
Where you're from: Germany
How long you've been using Game Maker: About 2 years
Any cool games you've made: Hellcraze, Alphadeck and Warlight Bravesone(on development atm)
Personality type: I'm a chill guy

Other things about yourself: I love pixel art, been making pixel art for quite a while now, learned it mostly to use for myself and currently doing it.

Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep updated of what I'm doing!

FuzzyDev

Username: FuzzyDev
Old GMC Username: nope, started on gms2!
Other usernames from past and present: nothing, started now as FuzzyDev

Name: FuzzyDev
Where you're from: Brazil
How long you've been using Game Maker: 2-3 years
Any cool games you've made: I've made only prototypes and played around with gms2, started to make my own game Fuzzy Adventures now!
Personality type: a bit crazy but nice!

Other things about yourself: I've been making pixel art and games on my spare time, going to focus on my game Fuzzy Adventures now!

Username: PlaceHolder Name

Name: Various
Where you're from: Poland
How long you've been using Game Maker: Couple of years
Any cool games you've made: Court of Crowns Demo

Other things about yourself: We are and indie game dev studio from Poland.

tretron

well let me introduce myself;

Username: Tretron
Other usernames from past and present: Betrayedcover

Where you're from: somewhere in the Netherlands
How long you've been using Game Maker: hard question, i have been using GMS 2 since 1 week, but 12-14 years ago I build some games with GMS for my highschool IT course. trough i don't have the files.
Any cool games you've made: Does an physical robot playing tic-tac count? I have not yet build any games

I mostly am an Mechatronical (robotics/automatisation) engineer. as a hobby i restore old and broken tools to use. Appart from that I write Novels and recently (with the help of the zero punctuation/yatzee dev diary) I have had a growing interest in just making some games. They will be silly no doubt and I am quite horrible when it comes to anything to do with art, but at least the idea is out and who knows, perhaps I can always collaberate with some poeple or inspire others with my ideas.

Chris G.

Username: Chris G.
Old GMC Username: Tymo

Name: Cristi
Where you're from: Romania
How long you've been using Game Maker: 10 years
Any cool games you've made: I've made a lot but just for fun and small ones, prototypes. Sadly I didn't post any: <

Other things about yourself: I'm a solo game developer, more as a hobby. When I was a kid I've always wanted to make my games or to make a game that I've always dreamed of.
I'm also a gamer, I'm funny and friendly. I'm happy to join this community! and hi to everyone.

weeno

Username: weeno (sometimes weeno5 if some bozo took it)

Where you're from: Thailand
How long you've been using Game Maker: 4 or 5 months i think
Any cool games you've made: i made some roblox "games" ig (they're not really games. they're just map showcases. im still trying to make a real game)

favourite food : spaghetti

FrapDuck

Hello everyone! I'm @FrapDuck and am new to the community! I've been using Gamemaker for about a month or two and just wanted to engage in some friendly communication and a vibrant bunch. Hope to hear from some of you!

DannyC

Username: DannyC
Other usernames from past and present: on various websites I can be found using itsDanny, DannyCragg or recentlydanny

Name: Danny
Where you're from: USA. Currently living in North Carolina.
How long you've been using Game Maker: Maybe a week total... orz I did buy it last year, so It's been sitting on my desktop just waiting for a reason to be useful!
Any cool games you've made: Nothing out yet, I am making a game in Ren'Py, but I've become interested in learning more about Game Maker and have a longing to one day make a small top-down rpg of sorts.

Other things about yourself: I'm a professional cartoonist! And I'm part of the LGBT community. I'm very interested in games and I would love to make other dev friends, especially programmers who might want to buddy up on little projects. If you'd like to talk about making stuff please PM me! :)

MartinDan98

Hey everyone! I will tell something about myself too.

Username: MartinDan98

Name: Martin
Where you're from: Slovakia
How long you've been using Game Maker: I think it should be something like 14 years. (Yeah you count it right :D I have been programming since I was a child)
Any cool games you've made: I made few games, some of them was on google play in the past. Currently working on few again.

So... Before I started my game development career, I worked as a maintenance man in a car factory. Now my dream has finally come true and my job is game development. So I'm very happy about it. Finally can invest my time to something I live for.

Username: GameDevPeach<3
Name: Ash
Where you're from: USA, GA
How long you've been using Game Maker: Oof, I actually haven't yet atm, but I plan to start using it tomorrow
I've made a Boba Tea dress-up game, and a Vampire dress-up with an open wick's editor, hoping next to make a critter picnic game, and another dress-up game (this time a Halloween edition ohh~)
(dress up games? yeah, I know, I like to keep my games small at least for now)
I've made a geocities-styled website, its a personal website and a love letter to the early days of the web. I've decided to take more time to learn how to code games, so I can make the simple flash games/toys I used to play with as a kid back in the early/late 00s.
I have dyslexia too, so it takes me a while to learn stuff and response to messages at times...

jwest

Hey there! I've been a lurker here for a little while but I want to get into the habit of actually being a part of the community :)

Username: jwest
Other usernames from past and present: jrcwest or robotgopher

Name: Jonathan
Where you're from: Born and raised in Southern California, Currently living in New Mexico.
How long you've been using Game Maker: Off and on since around 2013. Though I've only recently made it my preferred game engine.
- Debugging Session: A game where you punch your keyboard to kill the cockroaches living inside it.
- SUSTENANCE: A game where 2-4 players share one mouse and try to keep their shared organism alive for as long as possible.
- Shuriken: An alt-ctrl game where you hold your mouse sideways on your palm and simulate throwing ninja stars.
- Hexaguessimal (javascript, not GM): A spin on wordle where you are trying to guess the hexadecimal color code of the web-pages background.

I'm a full time software developer and a dad of 2 (soon to be 3!). Photography and game-making are my favorite hobbies (whenever life and time allows for them).

TestuoShima

Hello,
I am TetsuoShima. I've been programing in Game Maker ever since I was little. I'm a bit of a slow learner, but work very hard on things that interest me. I'm designed a hybrid of Ninja Gaiden and Strider for my game.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Username: Gamer
Old GMC Username: None... why do you want to know?!
Other usernames from past and present: None! I'm Gamer, the only person with Gamer in their username on the entire internet.

I want to learn how to make Games, that way I'll become a better Gamer

Stop mentioning a "Cantavanda" or whatever that is.

Username: Lastofthegoatmen

Old GMC Username: N/A, I’m a newbie at this.

Other usernames from past and present: Sometimes I go by 3210Self-Destruct on other forums, but there aren’t many of those. Don’t have a lot of free time for social media.

Name: Andrew

Where you're from: Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest US.

How long you've been using Game Maker: As of this post, probably a few hours total.

Any cool games you've made: Pfthaha, no.

Personality type: Tired and crusty exterior with white hot molten rage at the center, interspersed with tiny chunks of just wanting the best for everyone.

Other things about yourself: Just a husband and dad who works as a meat cutter during the day, and dreams of creating a game that appropriately conveys the horror and excitement that is the average grocery store meat department. In my spare time, of which there is usually none, I like to write, garden, collect transforming plastic robots, and avoid trouble. Haven’t had much experience in making a game, hoping to change that.

My name is Robert Richards and I am a game developer. I'm excited to be a part of this forum and share my knowledge and experience with fellow game developers.

I have been passionate about video games since a young age, and my love for games led me to pursue a career in game development. I have worked on a variety of game genres such as action, adventure, puzzle, and simulation. I have experience with multiple game engines, programming languages, and design tools.

In my free time, I enjoy playing games, experimenting with new game development techniques, and attending game development conferences and events. I believe that game development is a constantly evolving field, and I am always eager to learn new things.

I'm looking forward to engaging with the community here and sharing my insights and perspectives on game development. Let's create awesome games together!

Username: Overlord90098
Old GMC Username: didn't have one
Other usernames from past and present: normally overlord90098 unless taken already

Name: curtis
Where you're from: UK
How long you've been using Game Maker:
since October 2022
Any cool games you've made: currently trying to make one

Other things about yourself: likes strategy games, resident evil and souls likes.

[NK]

Username: [NK]

Name: NK (I know, crazy, right?)
Where you're from: The Golden Coast
How long you've been using Game Maker: On and off (mostly off) since 2018.
Any cool games you've made: Cool games? None, yet. Uncool, though? Three modest gamejam projects, and a Pong clone.

Other things about yourself: I am more of a sprite guy than a programming guy, but I'm trying to make up the difference.

Rudboys

Hello Everyone!
My Username is Rudboys (For that site) other my Usernames is MEMO Coder or The MEMO (It's like a MEMOry or Mehmet's Short form. 😊) Mehmet KINGX (Digital World Social Media Name(Facebook))
I was meeted with GM 2015 or 2016 (My mate say me he can't use that game engine and i look and liked🙂)
I have many games("Little a bit😅") but i don't share anyone web site so they're not ready for. Maybe later i can share First Game to Google Play 🤩🤲🏻
My Name is Mehmet, I'm 25 years old I'm From Turkey. I'm Disabled Person i have a CP (Cerebnal Palcy) but i have a imagine and good thinks. I love Coding. I was tried Hexadecimal, Make Mugen Games, Visual Basic. GameMaker excited me to you make Everything to your game like a 0 to 100 it's so good for me so i wanna see to my monitor to my dreams. It's me.
Let we Coding 😊✌🏻 have a nice forum. Sorry for long message😅
I almost forgot. I'm TeamPlayer or Like TeamWork.
Happy Forum all Friends😊✌🏻
Pleased to meet you.! 🙂🤝🏻
Rather, i'm happy for registered that forum. 😊
Have a Nice Day😉👍🏻

fyndr

Username: fyndr
Old GMC Username: FYNDR
Other usernames from past and present: N/A

Name: Mike
Where you're from: Minnesota
How long you've been using Game Maker: Unofficially since 2003, started releasing properly completed games around 2008
Any cool games you've made: The Last Pikeman, Terrier, Zenith Hunter, and The Robbing of Rem Rasul
Personality type: Quiet and laid-back

Other things about yourself: I haven't been involved in the game dev scene since COVID, but am hoping to make a comeback soon!

Username: V-Toad Games
Old GMC Username: V-Toad

How long you've been using Game Maker: Since 2016, on and off...
Any cool games you've made: Porker, the Quest for Tastiness (2017), Milk Smugglers (design, artwork, music/SFX, programmed in GMS2, but not by me, unpublished)

Other things about yourself: I'm a hobbyist Game Maker, a self-taught .MOD musician, a middling pixel artist, and a terrible programmer :). I recently picked GMS2 back up and have had a great time tinkering with it again.

Hi, I'm A.U.I. Yuri-Chan.
I've only had Gamemaker since the 5th of this month, so I'm pretty new.
The only other usernames I feel comfortable sharing are my YouTube, which is the same, and my MINECRAFT, YuriMasoto.
No, that's not my real name and I don't even have Japanese in me. I just like certain Japanese things.
I don't really feel comfortable even giving out my first name, that's why I use a pseudonym. I may reveal more about myself over time.
I'll admit that I have no clue how to code, I can't make music too well without a midi and soundfonts, and my ideas for my game are all over the place and unorganized. I don't even have a name for it yet, but I have been working on a few sprites. I will share them in the Game Design forum. I look forward to your feedback and I'm excited to be a part of the Gamemaker Community!

It's also kind of difficult to sound professional, this is the best I can do. So if I sound casual or weird in later posts I apologize in advance.

Fun Fact?: The A.U.I. stands for Alternative Universal Intelligence... If that even makes sense to anyone.

Last edited:

MeBoingus

Username: MeBoingus
Old GMC Username: LiamJacobs or SamMan5000 when I was really young.
Other usernames from past and present: xXThatsAVeryInvasiveQuestionXx

Name: Liam Jacobs
Where you're from: Originally South Africa, moved to England 4 or 5 years ago.
How long you've been using Game Maker: A very, very long time. I think at least 15 years?
Any cool games you've made: NEW PROJECT IDEA NEW PROJECT IDEA NEW PROJECT IDEA! I've made like two games. The rest of it has been me screwing around and getting nothing done, but learning a lot along the way.

I work full-time for one of the big five in the energy industry, fixing issues with Smart Meters and writing code for the machine learning side of their energy tech platform (this one is by choice - it's not even my job).

I love cats and old MsDOS games. I really love point-and-click adventure games, and games that are just pointless fun, as opposed to hardcore, serious shooters and RPGs, for example.

I started learning about multiplayer networking a few years ago, which I was always afraid of, but I now have a really good grasp on, and so I've recently decided to start learning about 3D game development as well, because I'm afraid of that too.

trizZzle

Hello everyone 👋

Tristan, 38, from Germany here.

I came here to check out GM. I've been using Unity for about 7 years as a hobby and didn't really create anything besides some prototypes and recently took a look at Godot.
I prefer 3D, but I came to realize that I don't have the time to create models, texture and animate them. I just found out that I liked drawing pixel images (at which I really suck right now), but I find it somehow relaxing.
So why GM? I really didn't like the workflow and tools provided in Unity and Godot, especially for 2D. GM is the first engine I could create a tileset and paint it without looking up a manual and getting confused by the workflow.
We will see how everything else turns out. :D

Snek person

Username: Snek person, if you somehow couldnt look a little to the left
Old GMC Username: n/a

Name:
not happening
Where you're from: the US state named after the largest of the channel islands
How long you've been using Game Maker: 1 day
Any cool games you've made: only the space rock thing

Other things about yourself: i'm making pixel art for my friend's game. i'm also planning to make my own game, but i know almost nothing about coding. i probably wont be very active here, but i'm on the Terraria forums a lot

also theres a typo in the welcome message
however we have other ares too which...

888_Scorpio

Hello, my preferred name is Antonio and I can also be greeted by my Game Dev name 888_Scorpio or Triple8Scorpio.

Call me which ever one of the 3 names listed above you please.

Here are some gif samples of a game I am working on.
GameMaker: Studio (gyazo.com)

Here is a picture of me.
IMG_20231104_195127_490.jpg
Other than working on game development.
I am from Missouri, USA. And my main line of work has always revolved around animals.
My main daily life consists of being a Horseman, I ride, train, and love horses most of my days.
It was during my daily routine, I imagined an idea for a game I am now programming.
I love them Western Movies and Games.
So my upcoming project I'll be posting updates on later down the road,
will be on my project I've been working on during my free time the last three weeks.

Last edited:
Hello, fellow GameMakers!

I am Jerstopholes, and I have been using GameMaker on and off for many years (since before 8.1, even!). I am 32, which has terrified me with how fast I reached that age. I've been programming since the age of 15, which is equally terrifying as it feels like I started no more than just a few years ago.

For the last six years I was primarily using Godot, but was drawn back to GameMaker after the licensing updates (thanks Unity!), and after continued growing disappointment in Godot. It's been such a long time since last using GameMaker that I honestly forgot how it works! I had grown so used to the "Godot way", that I've been using tutorials to get myself back up to speed. It's been fun, and using GameMaker has been like seeing an old friend. The updates to GML are very welcome and exciting!

Besides hobbyist game development, I am also a father, husband, and dabble with synthesizers and playing Red Dead Redemption II whenever I get the chance. It has recently snowed a lot in my neck of the woods and my back hurts from shoveling the snow early this morning. Such is life!

Hey guys, new member here to the forums and I see that it says I have to make five posts in order to do certain tings, so I figured I would introduce myself. I hope I'm posting in the right topic, but I've used Gme Maker since the 7.0 days and I was hooked on it. I learned a lot about Game Maker over the years, but it seems like it's finally time to take it to the next level. I will be posting a game I'm working on very soon. I don't really know what else to say here, but I can't wait to see what you guys are working on and maybe even offer my help to people who need it.

ReynLynxPSI

Hi everyone! My name is ReynLynxPSI. To some people who used the old GMC, I used to go by the name WeegeeSquare. I never really felt the need to create a new account, so I didn't up until now.

I've been using Game Maker since I was like 8, so probably about 14 years? I still feel like I'm a beginner sometimes... I usually just ask Yal or Mors for help over Discord if I need anything, but I should probably try and annoy them less often.

I've made a few things, my most popular project being Supra Smash Bross. I hope someday I can make a dream project, but I'm building up my skills for when the time comes.

Hey, hope all is well.

I'm K.D. and I been signed up a long time, been wanting to come here and talk but never did, finally I decided to do so, even though I'm not sure what to say, but here we are lol.

I used to use drag n drop but then started learning coding, love it way more, personally, and feel like I have always been decent at pixel art and animation, I have troubles with coding but still learning, I feel it would be pretty kewl to find someone or some people to work with on a project one day, I'm not that great and never known another person that was into game design or programming or anything of that nature, now I'm beyond ready to meet some people hopefully.

Sorry about this being that long, just wasn't sure what all to say.

Take care everyone and good luck out there!

Feel free to hit me up anytime.

Pando

Hey, K.D, and welcome to the forums! For me, the best way to find someone to work with is through the GMC jams, so maybe consider signing up for one? We're all pretty friendly people so I doubt you'll have trouble finding someone. Plus, I'm open to do stuff with people most of the time, so maybe we can do something in the future.

I hope your stay here is a good one!