Introduce Yourself

B

Bardsley Creative

Username: Bardsley Creative
Name: Peter Bardsley
Where you're from: New Zealand
How long you've been using Game Maker: I used to teach game-maker years back but never actually committed to making a game till now.
Any cool games you've made: I'm currently working on Seedlings, a puzzle-platformer.

Other things about yourself:
I spent the last 7 years working as an artist/animator in the advertising industry and I've lived in a few different countries. My hope is to make a commercially viable game and make enough money so I can travel freely without having to get work visas.

F

Flab

Username: Flab
Name:
Where you're from: South Africa
How long you've been using Game Maker: I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago and I've used it for several hours.
Any cool games you've made: Not in game maker and generally unfinished.
Personality: Insanely (self-)destructive, unimaginable lunacy, alcoholic, drug addict, solipsist.
I used to be an animator and modeler, but I started coding in QuakeC about 20 years ago and soon after jumped to the Quake source code (you know, nice and easy small codebase for a beginner) and have done a fair amount of coding in c/c#/c++/java and various scripting languages since then, specializing in geometry, physics and graphics (mostly 3d)...I also used to play professional poker. Also, I'm actually from Orion.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nathanmg

Username: Nathanmg
Name: Nathan
Where you're from: UK
How long you've been using Game Maker: 4 days (started going through a couple tutorials and today I bought the permanent license).
Any cool games you've made: Nothing so far, I have many ideas however
Personality Type: ADVENTURER (ISFP-A)

I've been toying with the idea of making games for about 20 years or so, putting loads of ideas down on paper (and subsequently losing them :p), I've dabbled briefly in RPG Maker years back and was considering making something in Java but nothing has ever materialised. My Computing degree never got me anywhere (achieved a 2.2 and graduated into a recession) and am currently in an entry level finance position.

I'm finally wanting to take control and actually start making games, watch this space over the next couple of years :p

S

smashingparadox

Username: smashingparadox
Old GMC Username:
eyeballs
Name:
Jesse
Where you're from: Florida
How long you've been using Game Maker: 15 years!
Any cool games you've made: Robocrates (the chatbot)
Personality Type: INTP?
It's been so long since I've used this forum that I'm not sure if I have already posted in this thread or not! haha!

A

Anna Kate

I'm just here to say hi and hopefully eventually to help provide music (piano -based) for gaming projects, if anyone is looking for that sort of thing. I'm irredeemably addicted to Skyrim SE and when I'm not rehearsing I can't tear myself away from it. I live North of the Wall in Scotland. Nice to meet you. o__< /

R

RCarnival

Username: RCarnival

Name: Ryan
Where you're from: USA
How long you've been using Game Maker: About a week
Any cool games you've made: Currently just learning basics
Personality Type: Creative & Ambitious

Other things about yourself: Grew up on Nintendo, my dream was always to be able to work for them like most gamers at one point or another. Now I'm hoping to teach myself how to create games with hope of one day being able to get one published on the eShop :)

Megax60

I think its a bit late for this but... whatever

Username:Megax60

Name:Adrian
Where'S you're from:México
How long you've been using Game Maker:like 9 months
Any cool games you've made: Nope, im working on a big game, alone
Personality Type: COMMANDER (ENTJ, -A/-T)

Other things about yourself:I have a boring life, i just want to release a game as soon as possible, maybe in 4 years or less it will be ready

S

Szaladin

Username: Szaladin
Other usernames from past and present: Always been that one :)

Name: Manu
Where you're from: Hanover, Germany
How long you've been using Game Maker: 3yrs
Any cool games you've made: Not yet! ;p

Being on a business trip overseas for 3 months, I finally find some time to reactivate my GameMaker ambitions in the evenings. I have always been reading stuff here, but needed to register for a problem with GMS2.

Welp, I do like classical message boards, so maybe I'll stay some more :)

A

abianche

Hi everyone!

Username: abianche (or basileus)

Name: Alessio
Where you're from: Italy, such a Beautiful country!
How long you've been using Game Maker: Just a month (been using other game engines before)
Any cool games you've made: Not yet!
Personality Type: “THE CONSUL” (ESFJ-A)

Other things about yourself: I am a MSc in Computer Science and Business Information Systems. My current job is about web-dev (primarly TypeScript), though I have coded in many different languages. I have a profound passion for Games and recently I started learning game development! After testing different game engines, I just selected GM to create my first game (along with some friends!).

J

Jacob Habgood

Username: Jacob Habgood
Old GMC Username: I forget
Other usernames from past and present: Jake

Name: Jacob Habgood
Where you're from: Sheffield, UK
How long you've been using Game Maker: 15 years?
Any cool games you've made: Hogs of War on the PlayStation 1 (not with GameMaker - does that count?). I rather liked Koalabr8 from The Game Maker's Apprentice.
Personality Type: An intuitive introvert (IN), but the others depend on the day.

I co-authored The Game Maker's Apprentice and The Game Maker's Companion.
I am returning to the GMC as part of helping my 10-year old daughter to learn how to use GMS2.0.

T

Two Circles

Username: Two Circles

Name:
Michael
Where you're from: London, UK
How long you've been using Game Maker: Couple of months on and off
Personality Type: ISTJ (so normal apparently...)
Like many others I’ve toyed with the idea of trying to make games over the past few years, and finally have decided to actually try to actually do something - hopefully I’ll be able to move beyond the realms of “simple” stuff and do something more complex like some of the amazing works you can find on this site.

A

Andres Lopez

Hi!
Username:TheSuperankes

Name: Andres.
19 Years old.
I am from Colombia
How long you've been using Game Maker: 5 years
Any cool games you've made: don't tap the red button(9106 games). Catch the numbers(1181 games).

Attempt to change the way of developing the games.

B

busterwbond

Username: busterwbond
Old GMC Username: .. none lol
Other usernames from past and present: Too cringe full to tell anyone, sorry.

Name: Buster
Where you're from: Australia
How long you've been using Game Maker: Since I was 11
Any cool games you've made: umm, none rlly.
Personality Type: INFP - T

I like iced coffee, unpopular music and the cold.

T

Thewizardguy

Hello, I'm thewizardguy. Real name Matthijs (it's dutch, don't try and pronounce it). Been using Gamemaker on and off for a few years now, only seriously got into it last year.

Haven't made anything impressive yet, but I'm working on it.

Other stuff: I like puppies, and Warhammer 40k.

M

Maru

Username: Maru
Other usernames from past and present: Maruseu/Marusue

Name: Marcéu
Where you're from: Brazil
How long you've been using Game Maker: around 6 months i think
Any cool games you've made: none
Personality Type: INFP/INTP

Other things about yourself: I am currently studying digital art so i can be able to make actually nice pixel art, bassist/solo guitarrist in a small band/project, run an iRoNiCaL NoIsE music project, been trying to make a game since when i got gamemaker but i've been in an spiral of redoing the entire project over and over again and procrastinating for like weeks and trying to improve on drawing instead of coding and this kind of thing
(also im a weeb and im literally obsessed with japanese/animey stuff)
if anyone wants to collab with me or idk wants some help with their project pm me or something i dont really know how this thing really works and i really want some practical experience and i really would be willing to commit to it

i hope i didnt screw up anything this was my first post

H

Hannibal

Username: Hannibal
Other usernames from past and present:

Name: Roy
Where you're from: Hong Kong
How long you've been using Game Maker: 1 year
Any cool games you've made: currently making a Card Game using Game Maker. It is my first game and I am learning as I go.
Personality Type: INFP/INTP

Other things about yourself: I do not have a programming background so I thought this would take me quite a bit of time to learn the ropes. I have in fact budgeted 3 to 6 months for me just to learn the game engine. Surprisingly though learning to use the software was not as tough as I thought. I think I did 2 tutorials and I could start making stuff. So it is a learn as I go process and the game is coming along nicely. I find the programming bit not so bad but I do HATE debugging. Sometimes you don't even know where to start and the worst kind of bugs are the ones that you cannot even reproduce. Hopefully as I gain more experience, I have better intuition. Best of luck to everyone who is still learning.

V

Valkuil

Username: Valkuil15
Name: Daniël van Andel
Where you're from: The Netherlands
How long you've been using Game Maker: Since 2016 (2 years)
Any cool games you've made: nope none
Personality Type: INFP-A

I don't actually own gms or gms2 I just use the trail version of gms2 because I think it is fun to try out some things sometimes and start for when I do have enough money to buy it.

V

Volk

Hi all

My name is Jeremy, I'm 32 and live in Western Australia. I'm new to GameMaker, haven't coded in a while but previously worked on a few different projects in C and Java.

I purchased GMS2 because a friend of mine is a developer and has 'inspired' my daughters (9 and 11) to make their own games - which so far they think means they provide 99% of the ideas and I do 99% of the work haha.. I'm still very excited to get them involved and slowly introduce them to not just coding but the whole project life cycle, with all the planning that goes into it.

I haven't been using GMS2 that long but I already love it. It has the simplicity that means I can get the girls straight into it, compiling and playing their game within half an hour of getting started, but also the functionality with GML for me to script out some more advanced functions for them to use in their own code. And there is so much information available, we must have watched 50 hours of youtube tutorials over this last week of school holidays.

Thanks for having us, and a special thank you to everyone who has contributed to the various tutorials, it has been a massive help for us newbies and is hugely appreciated. In just a few days we've managed to get a basic RPG up and running with an inventory and combat system, now the kids are starting to draw the various sprites. I can't think of any other engine that would let us progress fast enough to keep kids interested... very cool.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Well, may as well post here.
You know my username, my name is unimportant, I'm sixteen and currently reside in my own little world. I'm working on a turn-based RPG that uses health as mana, and these forums were actually my first (and quite recent) experience with the internet, which should have a capital "I", the way I see it.

I was born in Tucson and was happy to learn Earthbound had a town named after it, and later moved to my own little world. I've been using GM for a short while, and I feel it beats all other engines I've tried (Ren'py and a TI calculator.) I want to make game deving into my life. Thanks for bothering to read this far.

I've been around for a while, but mostly lurk. I'm 24 and have been using Game Maker since version 7 way back when I was in high school. I usually make stuff like fangames, but hope to be a professional developer someday

G

Guy Smiley

Hi. My name is Guy Smiley and I am new here. I'm creating a game that is a spinoff to the "Backyard Sports" series.

R

rayandsouza

Hi friends,

My self rayan dsouza and i'm owner of Scampedia app.

Thanks.

E

Eight8Diamonds

Username: Eight8Diamonds

Where you're from: Based in Illinois (raised in Arkansas, lived wherever I could find a home in California and Wisconsin)
How long you've been using Game Maker: I think I started using it at Game Maker 6. I didn't really get into it until 8. Used Studio and Studio 2 a fair bit. I've made many projects, but gotten very few to being published, and only one remaining that I haven't taken down or lost to unfortunate circumstances.
Any cool games you've made: Zen El, a pixel zen garden/island game you can find on itch io.

Other things about yourself: I'm currently maining as a pixel artist, but I've got experience with game design, spreadsheets, programming (almost exclusively in GML), writing, and audio.

T

tejasj

Hey all, I'm Tejas Jasani Founder-CEO, TheAppGuruz, a mobile gaming company with 500+ games and over 10 million players globally. Pioneer of game development ecosystem in Gujarat region.

May as well post here. I've been here long enough that's for sure. Don't know why I didn't sooner.

My username is Cloaked Games. I am also known the Mad Villager. That's usually my gaming tag.

I am from the United States. I live in Washington State near Seattle. I've been using Gamemaker for nearly 7 years now. I started in Middle School. I am going to college next year to study Computer Science and I am hoping to become a game designer as my career. My favorite games (series) are Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana and Paper Mario (the first three). I make games like them. I also like reading epic fantasy, especially Brandon Sanderson. Some sci-fi too, but mostly just fantasy. I dabble in creative writing and music composition. I've done a bunch of game jams too.

Check my signature for the stuff I've made that I'm promoting.

My personality type is Logician, (INTP).

J

Jafman

Hi there! I'm James, and I make games. I've been coding/game making as a hobby for over 20 years starting with a Texas Instruments home computer in 1985, then an IBM 386 using Game Maker 3.0 by Recreational Software Designs in the 90's, Game Maker 5.0 by Mark Overmars in 2000, to GMS1 now. I made a bunch of silly incomplete games which I was both joystruck and horrified simultaneously to find on the internet recently. Felt like I bumped into myself years later. Have you ever had something you put out there, or let go of, or even forgot about, come and return to you in a way that touches you? Please don't say boomerang.

So I'm (done) introducing myself, and I'm also announcing... no more fooling around! I setup a Google Drive webpage and YouTube channel with a short video of Jafman and core gameplay. Take a peek if you got a minute?

I'll be lurking the forums frequently to respond, update and lurk, so feel free to drop a line.

C

ChaseSmith

Hi, everyone! Newbie here. The name is Chase, a photographer and a graphic artist. I'm glad to have found this great online gaming community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers!

V

Valerie112

Username: Valerie112
Where you're from: Viet Nam
How long you've been using Game Maker: Since 2015
Any cool games you've made: I am on my first at the moment.
Other things about yourself: I love reading book, listen to music and ...

T

Timze

Username:
Timze. subject to change

How long you've been using Game Maker: about 1 month

Other things about yourself: Amateur graphic designer, coder, composer, lyricist, sound designer, animator, marketing wiz. I tend to bounce from project to project and thought making a game would be a nice way to try and contain it all, put it towards 1 purpose. Sadly, not professional in any.

Nice to meet you :p

S

Silver-bowsman

Username:silverbowsmen
Old GMC Username:I don't have one

Name: patrick
Where you're from:Australia
How long you've been using Game Maker:1 and a half years
Any cool games you've made:I am working on a game with a team does that count
Personality Type:inquisitive

Other things about yourself: other things about myself include deep thinking imagination a huge love too games and stories art action and comedy.
those are just a few things.

C

ChaseSmith

Hello, everyone! Welcome to the forum! :)

T

TeKidder

Name: Trent
Where you're from: California
How long you've been using Game Maker: New
Any cool games you've made: Not yet, but I have plans.

Hey everyone!

I am new to game development. I recently built my new gaming pc. I have very little experience in game development but am determined to start making games. I tried a number of game engines like: GameMaker, Clickteam Fusion 2.5, Construct, and Unity each for roughly a week/engine.

I finally decided to go with GameMaker. I found it to be the one that made the most sense to me and I feel its the proper engine for the type of development that I am looking to do.

I am looking forward to start officially making my first game and feel confident in my decision.

Here are my specs:

CPU(Processor): Ryzen 2 2600x 4.1 Ghz
Cooler: DeepCool RGB
GPU(Graphics Card) PNY XLR8 GTX 1060 OC
Motherboard: Asus x470 ROG Crosshair VII
RAM(Memory): Corsair Vengence LED 16GB 3200mhz
Storage: 2TB Firecuda SSHD Hybrid
PSU: EVGA 650w 80+ Gold Semi Modular
Chassis: Thermaltake N27
OS(Operating System): Windows 10
Case Fans: 5x APEVIA 512L-CRD 120mm Silent Dual Rings Red LED Fan with 32 x LEDs & 8 x Anti-Vibration Rubber Pads
Keyboard: Redragon Mechanical Keyboard
Mouse: Redragon M601 Gaming Mouse
Headset: Redragon H301 SIREN2 7.1
Monitor: BenQ ZOWIE 27 inch Full HD Gaming Monitor - 1080p 1ms Response Time

A

Aryel

Where you're from: Brazil(Alagoas)
How long you've been using Game Maker: 1 year

D

DanniBoy

Name: Danni Boy, you can call me Danni
Where you're from: Wales, UK
How long you've been using Game Maker: dabbled on and off years ago
Any cool games you've made: newp
Personality Type: too damn lazy

- I love to make music and i try to spend time making the beep boops everyday.
- I love food, doesn't matter what, I'll probably eat it.
- if you have a cute dog I will squee. insufferably.
- I was a furry once. i'm not anymore, but I made this avatar and i'm using it, dammit.
- I got a boyfriend and I am lowkey super proud of him and no i'm not showing him off at all or anything >_>
- I'm pretty cringey on forums. I apologize in advance.

J

japreja

Name: japreja
Old Forum/GMC Name: japreja
Using GameMaker Since: 2008

Hi all, I have been using GameMaker for quite a while, I think it was version GM3 that got me interested in using GM instead of another language. If I recall properly this was before there was a fee for game maker. In version GM7 I ordered the Professional Version and I've been hooked ever since.

R

Raiden

Hello everyone. I'm an 18 years old guy from Serbia interested in game development. I have used GameMaker (both Lite and Pro) since 2012 but never made anything worth mentioning. I hope that will change soon :)

T

ThePandaSenpai

Username: ThePandaSenpai
Old GMC Username: N/A
Other usernames from past and present: N/A

Name: -
Where you're from: Brazil (Rio)
How long you've been using Game Maker: About 2 years
Any cool games you've made: Spaceship!! (Never really finished it though).
Personality Type: INTJ-A

Other things about yourself: I've been working with YouTube for the past year as well. Youtube

S

Spongyoshi

Username: Spongyoshi
Other usernames from past and present: Linkgames/LCPfan/frizz1

Where you're from: France
How long you've been using Game Maker: Several years! Did small games since I got 10 or something.
Any cool games you've made: Mario's Bamboo Climbing but it's not THAT cool so I'm currently making something COOLER with stuff I've learned in my programming classes
Personality Type: sag.png Architect (INTJ-T)
Other things about yourself: I'm an huge videogame enthusiast, particularly in Mario AND particularly in the Mario Party series.
I am very passionate about Game Design in general and love to find game concepts/ideas and make them as good as I can! I even have a website about this.
My goal in life is to program my own games with my own team of people. I especially have ideas for the partygame department, an genera that doesn't have much competition besides the Mario Party series.

D

DuckRoulette

Name: Roulette or Ducky
Where you're from: Scotland!
How long you've been using Game Maker: Uhhhh...less than a week (Beyond nervously opening and closing previous trials, moments after I downloaded them, over the span of the past decade and a half.)
Any cool games you've made: I've dabbled but never seen anything through. ^^;
Personality Type: INFP-T

• I'm a freelance illustrator...
  • ...but my avatars are almost always drawn by my girlfriend.
  • I love world building, concept design and character design.
  • I spent three years learning animation at university //insert gross weeping here
  • Ducks are the superior animal.
  • I figured I might as well pick up GameMaker Studio 2 and figure out how to code games finally; honestly not sure why it took me so long to pick up GMS2...I've done a couple of tutorials and found it less intimidating than I initially thought it would be!
  • On that note...I really want to make at least one decent game in my life and tick it off my bucket list? So here I am! I'm excited (and desperate) to learn as much as I can with GML and be able to stand on my own two feet when it comes to coding.

O

OmegaYoshi

Hi, I’m OmegaYoshi. I’m 14 years old and I have been using Game Maker for about a week now. I’ve recently finished my first game entitled Avoid the Pits!, which is a simplistic 2D platformer. My forte is level design, and (unfortunately) I lack experience in programming. Not much else to say, really.

G

Gamesquare

Name: Brian
Where you're from: California, but currently Nebraska.
How long you've been using Game Maker: Since GM8, so 8ish years.
Any cool games you've made: Nothing.

• I haven't really used GameMaker in a long time (I've owned every edition since 7 though).
  • I am proficient in C# and PowerShell (used for my day job)
  • I am not a designer whatsoever, I don't have any art skills.
  • I have never been to college, so I have that going for me.