Design Intro, Backstory Design?

E

Edwin

Hello, I'm making a game and I just want to make a simple backstory but don't know how it should look like. Can you please offer me some tips and design ideas?

My current design look like this right now:
Maybe I could upgrade it somehow. Feel free to ask and offer something :)

pixeltroid

Looks nice. But why do you have so much empty black space surrounding the images and the text?

IMO, I'd have the graphics fill up the entire screen left to right and 70% top to bottom....like this:

sty.jpg

Text is placed in the centre of the bottom 30%....in 2 lines max.

I would also not use the ornamental "frame" or borders that you have used as it serves no purpose and simply distracts from what the player is supposed to focus on, i.e., the image and the story text.

E

Edwin

Looks nice. But why do you have so much empty black space surrounding the images and the text?

IMO, I'd have the graphics fill up the entire screen left to right and 70% top to bottom....like this:

View attachment 24018

Text is placed in the centre of the bottom 30%....in 2 lines max.

I would also not use the ornamental "frame" or borders that you have used as it serves no purpose and simply distracts from what the player is supposed to focus on, i.e., the image and the story text.
Thank you for this advice.

Yeah, the empty space... You know I do not draw very well so I think I will leave it as it is own or I maybe delete the white outline thing that forms a shape that kinda resembles a TV. I will think about it but well, you know some games use small visual frames.

PlayerOne

Thank you for this advice.

Yeah, the empty space... You know I do not draw very well so I think I will leave it as it is own or I maybe delete the white outline thing that forms a shape that kinda resembles a TV. I will think about it but well, you know some games use small visual frames.
I'll throw my 2 cents in on this: I took an art class in college about a year and a half ago where the concept of empty space is applied to art where the eyes need a breather from seeing all the chaos on a page/canvas - can't remember the correct term. Anyway, having a large empty space with a very detailed image can be very appealing to the eye.

Frankly, I think it's rather good from an artistic standpoint and something you should stick with.

One thing to consider in my opinion would be typewriter text. You know when textboxes display text one letter at a time?
Either that or some interesting fade effects, something less jarring and smoother than it is.

E

Edwin

One thing to consider in my opinion would be typewriter text. You know when textboxes display text one letter at a time?
Either that or some interesting fade effects, something less jarring and smoother than it is.
I think that too much games uses typewriter effect and I do not really like it :mad:

I am thinking about to make no animations in the white frame but I will need to draw more beautiful then :confused:

It's true, the typewriter effect is a wee bit overused, but when used sparingly it can still be pretty great, intros are a good excuse for them. Which is why I also suggested having text fade in and out. Works just as well and sometimes even better.