1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GM:S 1.4 Interactive particles

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Sk8dududu, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Sk8dududu

Sk8dududu Member

So the idea I'm trying to figure out is to have about 1000 tiny particles on a flat surface, top down perspective. So they don't move, unless you push them with your finger (mouse).
    What is the best way to approach this? I'm assuming it won't be viable to handle a thousand instances. Maybe a particle system? Or drawing somehow? I am stumped on how to even begin.

2. Bart

Bart Member

You can use physics particles for this.
    To influence the particles you can use an object that is physics enabled and follows the cursor.
    Also set the object's fixture as kinematic, since you'll be setting the position or speed manually.

Sk8dududu likes this.
  3. Sk8dududu

Sk8dududu Member

Thanks, dude. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I got some studying to do I guess. Never heard of this function before.