• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Integration for unit testing

csanyk

I'd love it if I could use a unit testing framework like N unit to write unit tests for my projects.

It would make proving that changes I make to my project don't break other parts of the program much easier, and finding where things broke when some update did break something somewhere unexpected much easier/faster. For larger scale projects, I think it's a must.

Please make this happen at some point.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Isn't it possible to create something like that with extensions... I made a couple of scripts for unit testing, a while ago... and is not that hard :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Yeah, ive been planning on creatinng a unit testing framework. The basic idea would be to create scripts prefixed "test_*" that would automatically run at the start of the game, and print report in console.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Unit testing is a feature not all people use unfortunately... looking at all the devs using GameMaker... the majority wouldn't even know what unit testing is.

Yeah, ive been planning on creatinng a unit testing framework. The basic idea would be to create scripts prefixed "test_*" that would automatically run at the start of the game, and print report in console.
Like the ideia :) also writing a couple of scripts for asserts... with custom output...

csanyk

Unit testing is a feature not all people use unfortunately... looking at all the devs using GameMaker... the majority wouldn't even know what unit testing is.
YYG is trying to attract the professional developer market. Unit testing is a professional feature. I'm sure a majority of users don't bother with 2DPhysics, or writing their own Shaders, either. That's not really the point, though, is it?

If you are supporting a commercially released game, it's important to test your updates. A broken update can cost you lots of users, costing you money, or poor reviews, which can tank your conversion rate.

Being able to run unit tests in an automated fashion can make your testing much more repeatable, faster, and reliable. Lots of people may not use them, but lots of people should.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yes, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done... as I said... "unfortunately" ...but it's not impossible to be done with GML, it's a matter of implementing or someone creating a "framework" for it and putting it up on the marketplace ;)