Integrating the programming language Ruby into GML , for better code structure designs in GMS

What do you think if the idea of trying to integrate the programming language called Ruby, into GML for designing
better code in the scripting feature of GMS? Would you see a better way of developing a game, where Ruby
extends the abilities in GML , instead of C++ ( of Visual Studio ) ?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

This can be done with my xProcess extension, provided the target machine has a ruby interpreter installed:

https://samuel-venable.itch.io/gamemaker-extension-collection

ProcessExecute() and ProcessExecuteAsync() can be used to execute the ruby intepreter and the code for it to interpret.

You can also get the standard output of the process similar to how it is done in the example project.

Python, applescript, jscript, vbscript, and other languages can be used as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Samuel Venable Out of curiosity, I just wanted to know how does Ruby compare to C++ when you compile a GML program with Ruby being part of code, in the context that Ruby is being used for procedural code?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Ruby is interpreted and requires ruby being installed in the form of an executable apart from your game. The C++ standard runtime can be statically linked to your executable in C++ and is not interpreted and therefore will probably have a lot faster calculations and less overhead. The only benefit of Ruby I can see is that it is easy to learn and cross-platform.

Ruby is interpreted and requires ruby being installed in the form of an executable apart from your game. The C++ standard runtime can be statically linked to your executable in C++ and is not interpreted and therefore will probably have a lot faster calculations and less overhead. The only benefit of Ruby I can see is that it is easy to learn and cross-platform.
Well that changes my mind.... back to C++ ( or C which can be used in C++ ).

Of all the languages out there as an alternative to GML, did you intentionally try to pick the slowest one (not entirely fair to Ruby, there are slower languages, but it's not a speed demon)?
No I didn't. I was taking a shot in the dark with the idea that Ruby might be better.