• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Instance Creation Order

A

Anomaly

say I have on object at the very bottom of a LONG list of objects in my Instance Creation Order List..

is the only way to get it to the top is to drag it's icon up the list slowly?

gnysek

Add another layer to layers, and move your instance there, it will be on top (or bottom, if layer is below). That will be faster than dragging/moving.

You can also modify YY file for that room, for proper layer, and move this instance, but this require some knowledge of file structure of GMS2.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
you should be able to move the items within the instance layer list on the docked window on the left hand side of the room (at least in default layout) this will change the instance creation order (it is from top to bottom of that list)

Russell

M

MirthCastle

Hasn't this been fixed yet??? There needs to be a button to move an item to the top of the instance creation order if I create it later.

Geoff Jones

I concur... this needs to be fixed.
Either a "move to top" button, or better scrolling and dragging would be good.

Last edited:

JesterOC

I don't think this is fixed yet... It really needs to be.... It's a massive pain when I need an object to exist first...

Dragging and dropping should be kept,
but needs 'Move to First'
and 'Move to Last' buttons.

Rob

It's not a perfect solution but if I'm not sure which instance/object is going to run first, and the order will matter, I have a boolean set to false or an extra state "initialise" in the dependent objects. and then I don't allow any of the code to run that will depend on the object I need if that boolean is set to false or the state is "initialise".
Then in the step, I would check to see if the needed object exists, and then, when it does, set the boolean to true/state to something else.

There are plenty of other solutions if this one doesn't work for you.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's not a perfect solution but if I'm not sure which instance/object is going to run first, and the order will matter, I have a boolean set to false or an extra state "initialise" in the dependent objects. and then I don't allow any of the code to run that will depend on the object I need if that boolean is set to false or the state is "initialise".
You can configure the order of instance being created from the room editor. There is a panel on the left (which is what the rest of this topic is related to)... just in case you hadn't realised it!!!

GM 2.3 and this feature is still not available :(
A feature request has been added, so hopefully we'll see "move to top" and "move to bottom" buttons added in a future update.

Rob

You can configure the order of instance being created from the room editor. There is a panel on the left (which is what the rest of this topic is related to)... just in case you hadn't realised it!!!

A feature request has been added, so hopefully we'll see "move to top" and "move to bottom" buttons added in a future update.
I hadn't missed it, I thought maybe the "I have 1000 objects in the same layer and I don't wanna move this new object (that I just decided should be first) all the way up"-people might not know how to get around it :D

Merrick82

The fact that it's 2022 and this feature still hasnt been add..... sigh.... at least in a right click submenu, please!

hiban

It takes for ever to change the order creation of an object from top to buttom please game maker do something it's been 5 years