Instance Creation Code Keeps Deleting itself

Doober

Hey, i'm not sure why but this all started happening recently. In some rooms (not all of them) anytime I try to add some creation code to an enemy object, the code will delete itself and I have no idea why. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Slyddar

I've had this happen before, but it was a few versions ago. Also it was actually deleting the whole contents of objects events too. Ended up having to recreate the entire project to solve it. It was my sons project, so I recreated it, but it was heartbreaking for him, as it happened twice in one week.

What version of GMS2 are you using?

Slyddar

The latest stable IDE release is 2.3.2.560, I suggest you update, as I haven't had the problem since updating.

Doober

It doesn't seem to have helped. Its weird though because this happens to the same enemy object but not in all of the rooms with them in it (essentially, it affects all enemy objects, but only in certain rooms and it seems to happen at random), I don't know anymore.

Slyddar

Like I mentioned, my entire project was corrupt, and I had to create a new one in order to fix the error. Just upgrading did not fix it, but it stopped it happening in future projects. You could submit your project to Yoyo support and they may be able to help.

Slyddar

Have they still not fixed this? This has been plaguing the IDE for so many years now
Well I haven't had it happen in the current IDE, but it definitely occurred around a 2.25 version. I didn't take note of the exact version though. If I hadn't of seen it happen (twice) with my own eyes I probably wouldn't of believed it to be honest. Hopefully they have it sorted now.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
There appears to be some sort of a bug where modifying project files externally causes open room editors to forget about variable overrides and, sometimes, creation code - someone mentioned this in relation to GMEdit to me before, but admitted that they didn't file a bug for it.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What about duplicating the enemy? Not actually creating duplicate but:

1) creating new enemy (use a temporary name) object and copy all the code/events inside.

2) Then delete the old one!!

3) save and restart

4) rename the temporary new enemy to the old name.

does it save from having to recreate the whole project?