• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Instance Create Layer and Possible ID passing issue.

E

EZcomedy

BACKSTORY:
The issue I believe is with my ID, I’m working on an RTS style game, where my spawner lets say a space station spawns units every 3 seconds of a player object “spaceship”. The battlefield has units running around randomly and when they spot a player spaceship and they attack it. I have an ability that when selected and I press “C” my space ship/ships will cloak and become undetectable or take damage. The code works by having the enemy ship exit it’s code to attack when my spaceships are cloaked.

THIS ISSUE:
Only the first instance created by the spawner stays undetectable. It’s as if it uses the original object and then all the other instances don’t have the ID of the original object. An interesting side note is if I have the original spaceship selected with multiple instances of the same ship and press “C” to cloak...the code works...so it's something with the specific original object.

Is this normal? What should I be looking to correct specifically? Like learning to pass the ID to all instances. Since it's an RTS I will be having multiple Instances of the same “player” so maybe that is the issue? GMS2 won’t allow you to have multiple instances of the same object?

Here is a link to help make my point:

and here is the code when they are detecting my ship:
var enemy = instance_nearest(x, y, oPlayer_Parent);

//Exit If Enemy Is cloaked
if (! instance_exists(oPlayer_Parent)) exit;
if (oPlayer_Parent.cloak = true) exit;

if (collision_circle(x, y, 150, enemy, false, false)) {
mp_potential_step_object(enemy.x, enemy.y, spd, oWall);
} else if (! collision_circle(x, y, 150, enemy, false, false)) {
alarm_set(alarm[0], 1)
}