Graphics Inquiry about Sprites

C

Cade.Roll

Hello!

I've just recently got into learning game development and part of that is acquainting myself with the lingo. So along the way, I came across the term "sprite(s)" and I have some questions about it.

1. Is the term "sprite" the industry standard used when referring to the visual representation of in-game objects, or is it only specific to 2D game design & modeling?
  2. Is it also referred to in other ways?
  3. [Follow up to the second question] Which of the current (and popular) game engines use such terms?

Thank you!

S

Slothagami

I'm fairly sure that "Sprite" is there standard name, I myself haven't head it called anything else, but I'm not sure.

"Sprite" is for reference to the image displayed, so it doesn't apply to 3D models.

I know that other than gamemaker, engines like unity and Godot use the term.

NightFrost

Sprite is a historic term from times when 2D graphics existed before 3D, referring to graphical elements that could be freely positioned on the display over background elements. Today it still refers to a 2D graphic element. When a 3D object is given graphics, it is usually called a texture. While with modern GPUs a sprite is just a texture draped over a two-dimensional object (a rectangle usually) the distinction is still made.

C

Cade.Roll

Sprite is a historic term from times when 2D graphics existed before 3D, referring to graphical elements that could be freely positioned on the display over background elements. Today it still refers to a 2D graphic element. When a 3D object is given graphics, it is usually called a texture. While with modern GPUs a sprite is just a texture draped over a two-dimensional object (a rectangle usually) the distinction is still made.
I see. Thank you for the information!