• Hey! Guest! The 40th (!!!) GMC Jam will take place between February 25th, 12:00 UTC to March 1st 12:00 UTC. Why not join in this very special anniversary jam! Click here to find out more!

Graphics Inquiry about Sprites

Cade.Roll

Hello!

I've just recently got into learning game development and part of that is acquainting myself with the lingo. So along the way, I came across the term "sprite(s)" and I have some questions about it.

1. Is the term "sprite" the industry standard used when referring to the visual representation of in-game objects, or is it only specific to 2D game design & modeling?
  2. Is it also referred to in other ways?
  3. [Follow up to the second question] Which of the current (and popular) game engines use such terms?

Thank you!

Slothagami

I'm fairly sure that "Sprite" is there standard name, I myself haven't head it called anything else, but I'm not sure.

"Sprite" is for reference to the image displayed, so it doesn't apply to 3D models.

I know that other than gamemaker, engines like unity and Godot use the term.

NightFrost

Sprite is a historic term from times when 2D graphics existed before 3D, referring to graphical elements that could be freely positioned on the display over background elements. Today it still refers to a 2D graphic element. When a 3D object is given graphics, it is usually called a texture. While with modern GPUs a sprite is just a texture draped over a two-dimensional object (a rectangle usually) the distinction is still made.

Cade.Roll

Sprite is a historic term from times when 2D graphics existed before 3D, referring to graphical elements that could be freely positioned on the display over background elements. Today it still refers to a 2D graphic element. When a 3D object is given graphics, it is usually called a texture. While with modern GPUs a sprite is just a texture draped over a two-dimensional object (a rectangle usually) the distinction is still made.
I see. Thank you for the information!