Asset - Extension Input Dialogs (for Windows and macOS)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

This extension is for Windows and macOS.

A fully customizable, (and synchronous), alternative to GameMaker's default textbox input dialogs. Whether you want single-or-multi-line input, numbers-only or password entry, modal or sheet-modal (embedded dialogs!), setting the dialog size, or adding localization by changing button labels and other text, this extension pretty much has you covered. Everything you need for text entry.

Look for "icon.ico" included with the extension, (the one with the GameMaker logo), found in the extension's directory in your project folder, and replace it with your own icon of the same name and path as the original file to use your own desired icon on Windows. Mac will use whatever icon is used by the application bundle, which will be your game's custom icon on release builds.

The DLL's full source code included.

Very big thanks to Josh Ventura, for writing the widen() and shorten() scripts, enabling UTF-8 support on Windows.

Buy Now ($7.99 USD) for GameMaker Studio 2

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

If someone promises in this thread to donate to me $10, I will add the ability to change the icon to a different one than the default, this will allow you on Windows and Mac to use different icons depending on the type of dialog you want. For example, you could use a "lock" *.ico on Windows or *.icns/*.png on Mac, for a password field, or a stop sign for a read-only text box error message. I will also add the ability to remove the "cancel" button, if you only need one button. As mentioned, you may use a read-only, but text-selectable multiline textbox to show debug or error messages, and for non-fatal you could change the "OK" button to "Abort" and the "Cancel" button to "Ignore" and for fatal you could just remove the cancel button and have "Abort". Again, I will do this and publish the update before receiving any payment. Reply to this thread if you are interested. My paypal email is [email protected]

I'm also considering to add support for a background image for the dialog's client area, so please let me know if that is something you also want in advance. I'm saving up for a new laptop to continue doing development on in the long-term, so I'm brainstorming various ways to make money from programming.

Last edited by a moderator: