• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Input a string with gamepad

T

Taddio

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some pointers on how to input a string from a gamepad, like "enter your name", and such stuff. From my understanding, I can't use the virtual keyboard if it's not on a mobile platform, right?
Should I have a sprite of a keyboard + a moving object that mimics button selection with an array?
I thought about it, and the thought of putting this many hours into such a simple thing makes me go "wait a minute...what does the guys at Yoyo's forums think about this, first?"
Sooooo if you have an idea on how to proceed, know of a tutorial, or heard rumors of some sort, I'm all ears, because this one is bugging me a bit.
Thanks

TheouAegis

You could do a keyboard, or you could do the classic method where you just cycle through each letter/number/symbol when the user presses up or down, move to the next character when the user presses the fire button or right, go back to the previous character when the user presses left, delete the previous character and go back to it when the user presses the jump button (or whatever you want to call it, lol), then lock in the name when the user presses Start or presses the fire button at the very last character in the name.

T

Taddio

Yeah, I havent thought of the "1 letter at the time" kind of display, that's a good idea, I could use just one static blank sprite button, with the selected letter drawn on top. Cool idea, Ill go for that one, thanks!