• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 INI File Deletion

Elijah Budd

I am using Gamemaker v1.4
I am working on a game for HTML5 that uses an INI file to save and load. On windows export, everything works perfectly. I hosted the game on itch.io and on a desktop browser it also works perfectly.

However, when I use a mobile web browser, the INI file has been reset every time the browser is opened. Before it simply reset it to the base data, then I put the INI file in as an included file and it reverts back to the information in that.

How can you keep the web browser from deleting your INI file? Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: It works on Android. It does NOT work on iPhone. Does this mean the issue lies with Apple? If so, is there any way to slay this God, or shall I be doomed to buy a new phone?

Last edited:

chmod777

When you use the ini_* functions for that purpose, the browser's local storage API is used.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/localStorage

So that means your ini won't be saved:
- if the browser does not support the localStorage property.
- or usually if you run the browser in private mode, the data will be removed once you've closed the window (or any similar configuration).

Plus, according to the link above, iOS Safari is a special case:
Starting with iOS 5.1, Safari Mobile stores localStorage data in the cache folder, which is subject to occasional clean up, at the behest of the OS, typically if space is short. Safari Mobile's Private Browsing mode also prevents writing to localStorage entirely.