Windows Inertia - my first game after less than 2 months

markysoft

I was reading Derek Yu's Spelunky book, and he mentioned the original version was written in Gamemaker, and back in November I thought I'd check it out.

I was impressed how quickly I got something working, and how powerful GML is. I'd tried Unity in the past but not really got anywhere, and using C# felt too much like my day job...

So Inertia is the result, my first game, less that 2 month later!

I got the controls working pretty quickly and was happy with the feel of steering the ship, and slowly added more features.

The Itch.io Finally Finish Something gamejam gave me the incentive to finish it, it was mostly creating new levels which took up the time.
Adding 'water' was a bit of a game changer and made it a lot more fun.

I still have a few ideas of feature to add (I couldn't get black holes to be fun, but maybe one day...) so will continue to build on it, maybe improve the, ahem, graphics.
Here it is in action.

Free download available on itch.io, (wasn't sure how to upload it to the forum) let me know what you think!

Last edited:

WarpDogsVG

Neat idea for a small game! It took me until the level with the boost arrows to really "get it", but once I did I really liked the feel of whipping your little spaceship around with inertia and momentum

One thing - I played the browser version which has labels for keyboard controls, but they didn't work (instead they performed actions on the webpage, like space would do a page down, etc.). I'm on the latest version of Chrome. Didn't matter once I learned to use the mouse, though.

markysoft

Neat idea for a small game! It took me until the level with the boost arrows to really "get it", but once I did I really liked the feel of whipping your little spaceship around with inertia and momentum

One thing - I played the browser version which has labels for keyboard controls, but they didn't work (instead they performed actions on the webpage, like space would do a page down, etc.). I'm on the latest version of Chrome. Didn't matter once I learned to use the mouse, though.
Thanks, odd issue with the controls. I'll see if I can reproduce it. I've tested on a variety of browsers but just locally, not when embedded in the itch.io page. I guess something else in the window is taking focus from the canvas.

markysoft

Thanks again, reckon I've fixed it now by adding
GML:
window.onload = function () { window.focus(); }; window.onclick = function () { window.focus(); }
via Gamemakers 'prepend output.js with' setting in the html5 preferences.

Seems itch.io runs code in iframes (that's still a thing?) which was causing problems in Chrome.