• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Increased cpu load for Windows executables built with GMS 2.3.x

Hi everyone,

If been using GMS 2.2.5 for my project for a while now but finally trying to make the switch to GMS 2.3.
However, I noticed that the built Windows executables take up a LOT more CPU than when built with 2.2.5 (YYC/VM makes no difference)

(using Windows Task Manager)
-Made in v2.2.5: cpu usage 2-3%
-Made in v2.3.1 stable: cpu usage 10-11%
-Made in v2.3.2 stable: cpu usage 13-14%

This is the EXACT same project, only the GMS version to build the executable differs.
When checking out the performance in the Debug Profiler it seems there are no big differences between the projects.
Memory use is actually lower on the newest versions (100MB compared to 130MB)

Disabling the garbage collector takes off 3-4% but still there's a big increase.

What's up with that? And why is cpu load increasing in every new version?
Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm worried my project will have trouble running on older systems.

My specs:
-AMD Ryzen 5 3600
-16GB RAM
-AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
2.3.2 stable has been released since this was posted, please retest and let us know if it's still an issue.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Did you report this through the helpdesk???? have you tried changing the sleep margin at all as this will affect the CPU use shown in Task Manager you want low numbers for sleep margin to minimise the CPU usage.

Russell

Did you report this through the helpdesk???? have you tried changing the sleep margin at all as this will affect the CPU use shown in Task Manager you want low numbers for sleep margin to minimise the CPU usage.

Russell
I haven't reported this since I don't know if this is intended behavior, so I was hoping you guys could tell ;)
Maybe the addition of the garbage collector and several under the hood features added in 2.3 cause the increased cpu usage?

If you're telling me there should NOT be a difference in cpu usage between 2.2 and 2.3 then I'll report it through helpdesk

And yes, decreasing the sleep margin decreases CPU usage, but this works the same across all versions (2.2 and 2.3) so this is not the real issue here.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
There should not be a huge difference in CPU usage, BUT we did change how frequently the CPU will timeslice threads while the Runner is executing which will change some of the CPU profile (in tests we have found it improves perf particularly on high frequency monitors) this should also mean that the sleep margin can be less..

Most of the CPU usage you will be seeing is the sleep margin (not the actual Runner code) as it waits in a tight loop for the timing that you have requested.

Please report it so we can track any issues around this.

Russell