Increase max 1048 players on a GMS2 server?

Is there an easy work around to increase the number of players that can connect to a single server?

The current max is 1048, I need a lot more than that.

Does anyone know of a way?

I've been looking at creating a C++ server and using Amazon Gamelift, but I'm unsure of GMS2 compatibility with C++ servers.

Is there any way else that I might be able to do this? And if not can anyone tell me if GMS2 can be linked up with a C++ server and Amazon Gamelift?

Thanks.

Mert

but I'm unsure of GMS2 compatibility with C++ servers.
The connection between clients and servers are done via TCP / UDP / Websocket etc. (protocols) meaning that the base programming language has no effect on the relaying data. You can write a java server and run a c++ client. Same goes for the Game Maker.

I use golang for my server and Game Maker for my client

Okay so I could just write a Java server and it will work fine. Thank you.

Is there maybe any other way to work around this? Possibly from within GMS2?

Mr Magnus

Viking King
a ) I highly recommend that if you are making a game that *cannot* be limited to a thousand players (what are you making, an MMO?) that you steer way clear of trying to make a gml server. gamemaker is a game engine, not a server framework. Its primary goal is to develop video games. It has no business trying to manage a thousand connections at the same time. It is great if you just need networking functionality in your game that can give it some sort of multiplayer functionality, but if you're serious about supporting a thousand players at once on one server you're far outside of the intended scope of those functions. At that point you're better off with a dedicated server and having GML acting as a client.

It's a bit like trying to use a boat to get over the desert. It's not impossible, you could probably deck it out with some wheels and surf the sand dunes, but it's not what it is designed to do when you can just get a more appropriate vehicle.

b ) Compatibility isn't a thing in networking (well, they are, but not in the way you are describing). We have protocol standards for a reason. TCP/UDP/HTTP/IP connections are language independent: they look and operate the exact same way for every language.

C++ and GML applications can talk together over a network just fine as long as they are following the same protocols. I on the regular set up python webservers if I need http networking in my gamemaker games.

Oh okay. And I am making an online PvP turn-based RPG. Kinda like if you could take your FFVII characters and battle them against other people online.

The game is already functional but I needed advice for how to set up my server outside of the player max.

Thanks for the help guys.

Bukmand

I tried something long ago to allow more than 1024 players, just open too many ports each port allows for 1024, if players can't connect change port.