• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Included files, EXE or multiple files? How does it all work?

Dr_Nomz

In my experience any time I've used Game Maker I've only even needed to send out an EXE for people to play the game, that one little file was enough to run all the code and graphics and whatever, but I know for a fact no other game does this, not even something over 20 years old like Fallout.

So my question is, how does it all fit in? How do I export that? Do I need to? What folders do players really need?

And how do I include files, like a manual and such so when they download the game, they have a folder where they can access that? (Like Fallout's Wasteland Survival Guide PDF, as an example.)

BG Games

I could be wrong, there is no computer at hand, but as far as I remember in Game Maker there are functions that unpack the files included in the game. What prevents to create for example a self-extracting archive, in the extreme case, an installer? Or just an archive with all the necessary files, sorry if I misunderstood your question

johnwo

So my question is, how does it all fit in? How do I export that? Do I need to? What folders do players really need?
The single-executable contains multiple files that are unpacked when executed, then the archive then executes [GameName].exe.
A single-executable build for windows (GMS 1.4, VM-compiler as an example here) contains *at least*:
  • D3DX9_43.dll
  • [GameName].exe
  • data.win
I suggest *not* using the singe-executable build, as it sometimes triggers AV-software, etc.

Use the "compressed archive" (zip in GMS 2) option, then either use the "Included files"-feature (documentation GMS 1.4, GMS 2) in to add files (if used in-game), or just add them to the archive manually after building.

Dr_Nomz

Oh so instead of creating an application I should just use Export Project? That seems to be what options I have for exporting in GMS 1.4, anything else I should know? Or will that automatically include any necessary files?

EDIT: Also what do you mean by "VC Software"? Is that bad? I don't get what that would mean for the game...

Dr_Nomz

Could someone give me some more clarification on that last question I asked? It sounds important.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
"Export Project" is for sharing with other GM users. Sure it'll include everything, but it won't run anywhere GM isn't installed. You have to use "Create Application" for the wider public.

johnwo was talking about antivirus software when he said "AV." The cabinet self-extractor used in the GMS 1.4's "single executable" export is also the same kind used in many kind of malware to conceal their payload, to the point the most heuristic detection mechanisms flag it down instantly. The excessive amount of false positives reported with this export type is one of several reasons why it was discontinued for GMS 2.

Dr_Nomz

So just to clarify, hit the "Create Application" button, then scroll down the file list and select the Compressed Applications ZIP option?

YanBG

So just to clarify, hit the "Create Application" button, then scroll down the file list and select the Compressed Applications ZIP option?
Exactly! If you tested someone else game here, you'd have known that :p
Last option is installer but for small unfinished games, people won't go through the trouble and probably is flagged as virus too.

Also wtih "Export Project" people can steal your game(source code) and with any major project is not a good idea to send it.