• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Included files are extremely slow and irritating to work with

B

Braffolk

My current project requires loads of included files, but apparently GMS will not update any modification done outside the IDE, nor will it properly import a folder with a whole folder structure in it. This makes it extremely irritating to work with included files. You have to manually import each folder to update things.

Fern

I too find this to be frustrating. However the included files are updated once they are included. So if you were to add a '.txt' file and then edit it externally, GM:S reads it as it is fully updated.

B

Braffolk

I'm aware of that, but it only updates files manually included into the IDE. You can't edit the file structure yourself to add, remove, change file or directory names and things.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Is this a question asking for help with a technical issue or a feature/improvement suggestion?

If it's the former: What you've described is how things currently work, not a technical issue.
If it's the latter: YoYo Games are currently not taking suggestions regarding the IDE.

The only alternative to the standard "create included file, select file to include" schema I can offer is dropping multiple files onto the IDE and adding them as included files that way... but this is most likely not the optimal solution you seem to be looking for.

Fern

I believe the issue lies in that it is a Windows program that waits for input rather than actively pulling CPU time to check for file explorer changes. I could be wrong but I highly doubt they would make any changes such as what is suggested here this far along.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
There should be a way to generate a fragment out of a folder that you can then copy-and-paste manually into .project.gmx. Might investigate for fun.