• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM In how many computers can I use my GM:S 1.4 licences?

C

Champol

Hi, I would like to ask a question, in case you know the answer.

I have two licences of GM:S Professional associated to my account, which I got in 2012 and 2016.
Some time later, after GM:S2 was released, GM:S1 licences were removed from the market, and now they cannot be aqcuired by any means.

I'm planning to teach a videogame design course for teenagers, but I need to use GM 8.1 or GM:S 1.4, as GM:S2 doesn't run properly on the computers we have. I was planning to use my spare licence key for GM:S 1.4 so students could use it, but I have no idea if there is a limit of how many computers can use the same licence at once, and even if YoyoGames cares anymore, cause I couldn't find any official information about it.

It would be valuable if someone from YoyoGames could answer this.
Thanks for your help!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Licenses are for one person.

One person may use the same license on up to three devices concurrently.

Three students would therefore need three licenses - unless your course qualifies for the educational licenses.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You can find the latest information about the education licenses at: https://www.yoyogames.com/education

You need to have the course approved to be eligible for the licenses, the education page points out they will "confirm your school's identity"... but courses like summer camps still is listed as one of the intended use cases. Probably doesn't hurt to send in a submission in either case. GMS2 has a lot of features that are beginner-friendly, like a GUI interface for variables and inheritance that's miles better than the GMS1 "you need to visualize and remember everything" style, so I'd really recommend using it over GMS1 if at all possible.

As for why GMS2 doesn't run properly... first of all, do you meet the specs?
The minimum system requirements needed to run GameMaker Studio 2 are: 64bit Intel compatible Dual Core CPU, 2GB RAM, DX11 compliant graphics card, Microsoft 64bit Windows 7 (or above), HDD with at least 3GB free disk space.
If yes, you should contact support. If not... pester your IT department?

Hi, I would like to ask a question, in case you know the answer.

I have two licences of GM:S Professional associated to my account, which I got in 2012 and 2016.
Some time later, after GM:S2 was released, GM:S1 licences were removed from the market, and now they cannot be aqcuired by any means.

I'm planning to teach a videogame design course for teenagers, but I need to use GM 8.1 or GM:S 1.4, as GM:S2 doesn't run properly on the computers we have. I was planning to use my spare licence key for GM:S 1.4 so students could use it, but I have no idea if there is a limit of how many computers can use the same licence at once, and even if YoyoGames cares anymore, cause I couldn't find any official information about it.

It would be valuable if someone from YoyoGames could answer this.
Thanks for your help!
You can find the latest information about the education licenses at: https://www.yoyogames.com/education

You need to have the course approved to be eligible for the licenses, the education page points out they will "confirm your school's identity"... but courses like summer camps still is listed as one of the intended use cases. Probably doesn't hurt to send in a submission in either case. GMS2 has a lot of features that are beginner-friendly, like a GUI interface for variables and inheritance that's miles better than the GMS1 "you need to visualize and remember everything" style, so I'd really recommend using it over GMS1 if at all possible.

As for why GMS2 doesn't run properly... first of all, do you meet the specs?

If yes, you should contact support. If not... pester your IT department?
If I was hired to teach at a college and they were so shady they couldn't even provide computers that can run Game Maker Studio 2 I'd run the other way as fast as hell because no way that place is being run well.