• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM In-game mirror?

O

OQuixley

Hi all, I'm making a short side-scrolling horror game and I want to have a small part where the player walks past a mirror and their image is distorted (I have a sprite I want to use for the mirror image), but after the first time the mirror only displays the normal player sprite.

I have no idea how to make a 'mirror' object in game, and the only things I can think of how to do it are wild and probably very time-consuming.

If it helps, I am using a surface system to create simple lighting in my game, which I got from this tutorial with little modification: https://zackbellgames.com/2015/01/19/simple-lighting-surfaces/

O

OQuixley

do you mean the player character is drawn differently, or that there is an additional image of them in the mirror?
OK so basically the first time the player walks by the mirror it just uses a different sprite, then any time after that it just reflects the player as he is.
The main issue is I don't know how to CREATE a mirror, to keep the sprite within the frame of it...

Niels

Copying the player sprite and actually make the mirror a hole in the wall (make the wall a object). When the player has a place_meeting with the mirror it draws the players sprite with a slight offset and it's depth higher than the wall with mirror object