Graphics Improving my Graphics

E

ethian

Greetings...

I'm inspired to make my pixel-art graphics look more complex... thanks to Temmie Chang.

The trouble here is doing the anti-aliasing, i don't know how to make it goodly without resizing the image, i just put the darker colors in random places for make the graphics look like if they have anti aliasing...

So, how i can make the anti-aliasing? I think looking at the pixel art graphics that contain them doesn't help...

M

Misu

If we are talking about videogame spriting, then there is one line of advice:

pixel art =/= anti-alias

If a pixel art uses anti-alias, it wouldn't be called pixel art. That'd be a regular smooth sprite image. applying pixel style art with smooth edges kind of breaks the art style in a video game, making it slightly unappealing (unless its a background or texture interpolation since those are acceptable)

Now if you are talking about regular art rendering or photoshop, then yeah its something preferred by any artist.

I highly recommend using a program that has a filter or tool that allows you to create the anti-alias effect. Now a lot of users would also be considered using shaders or some programming technic to perform them. Normally GMS 1.4 sprite editor comes with an edge smoother tool that can be handy. Although that is a bit mediocre and you're better off using some other program like GIMP or Photoshop can actually perform these better.

Some artists like doing it manually performing anti-alias pixel by pixel, but that is too complicated and always leads to certain unnatural results.
So better safe than sorry by using a program to modify the pixels on your images.

Check out google for some tutorials on anti-alias with programs like photoshop. Here is an example:

flerpyderp

Misu is wrong.

Manual anti-aliasing is very common in pixel art, especially in higher resolution pieces/larger sprites, but also often in smaller sprites too.

but that is too complicated and always leads to certain unnatural results.
So better safe than sorry by using a program to modify the pixels on your images.
This is nonsense.

You can just google "anti-aliasing pixel art tutorials" or something similar, but here's a MortMort video to get you started:

D

Deleted member 13992

Yes manual anti-aliasing is extremely common for pixel art. It's more controllable than having a program do it for you (like from rescaling), doesn't produce new colors unsupported by your pallet, and just makes you a better pixel artist just in the interest of improving yourself (which is awesome).

I *highly* recommend pedro's pixel art tutorials. There are nearly a hundred of them, which is a lot, but all very focused on a single aspect of pixel art. And because they're animated, very insightful.

https://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart

Here's one addressing aa specifically
https://medium.com/pixel-grimoire/how-to-start-making-pixel-art-4-ff4bfcd2d085