1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GM:S 1.4 [IMPOSSIBLE] Audio Spectrum background (After effect)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Guilherme Hernandez, Jun 6, 2017.

1. I have an After Effects Audio Spectrum, and I'd like to use it as the background of the game.
    It's possible? If so, how do I do it? Can you help me step by step?

2. Aaron Craig

Aaron Craig Member

I'm not too familiar with After Effects. Is what you have just an audio file, like a song you'd like to play in the background of your game?

3. Actually, I'd like Audio Spectrum to be the background, you know?

4. Aaron Craig

Aaron Craig Member

Here's the manual on playing sounds: http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/game assets/sounds/index.html

Basically what you'll want to do is create a sound, and load it up in GMS. Give it a name, and then preview it to ensure it's working properly. Once you've done that, you can use the function audio_play_sound( yourSound, 1, 1 <If it's background music, putting a 1 here will make it repeat>). Use that function when you'd like the music to be played, such as the beginning of your level, or after a cutscene starts, or whenever.

Just remember that GMS only supports .wav, .mp3, .ogg for sound files, so it'll have to be one of those.

5. DividingByZero

DividingByZero Member

OP - are you saying you have a video file that represents the audio playback? I like a digital eq type deal?

6. Yes I have the file with all the audios and with the playback.
    But I want to insert animation with background

7. DividingByZero

DividingByZero Member

So you want to play a video file in the background? I could be wrong, but I don't think it is possible to play video files during the game play.

Guilherme Hernandez likes this.
  8. Actually, it's not a video. It is an effect of After Effect, the effect of Audio spectrum, according to the music

9. DividingByZero

DividingByZero Member

In that case, I am fairly confident in saying you can't use that at all. Unless After Effects outputs some sort of shader or script that you could convert for use in Game Maker.

10. Yeah, I was afraid of that. I hoped it would not work, but I wanted to know about people who are more knowledgeable than I am.

Thank you very much.