• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Importing Sprites of Different Sizes and Anchor Points

Z

Zman110

Hey guys!

So my current project is rebuilding an OLD windows 95 game from the ground up re utilizing the existing assets. The problem I have been running into is the game originally animated their objects via calling individual images from a JSP file with their own anchor points to line them up properly for animation (kinda like a weird texture page of sorts). As a result, every frame of an assets animation is a different sized trimmed image. My current process for importing is as follows.
  • Take all the images and pop a green pixel onto each images anchor point
  • Throw them into TexturePacker to pad the images making them one uniform size so I can import them easier
  • Importing the strip TexturePacker generates
  • Meticulously lining up each frame's anchor point to get rid of the jittery animation
  • Set first frames anchor point as the sprites origin point
  • Remove green Pixel
  • Profit

This has proven to work, however when I'm dealing with animations in the 300+ frames department, this makes me want to rip my hair out.

Am I missing a simple solution here or do you all know of any way to expedite this process? If only the original JSP didn't trim each image :(

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'm afraid that the outline you give for the workflow sounds to me to be the best and probably only way of doing this... sorry...

Z

Zman110

I'm afraid that the outline you give for the workflow sounds to me to be the best and probably only way of doing this... sorry...
Dang that sure is unfortunate! Well I appreciate you at least giving me some closure! I thought I was just being ridiculous and inefficient haha! Thanks!