SOLVED importing .gmez into GMS 1.3/1.4

• Thread starter neurothoughtmachine
  • Start date
N

neurothoughtmachine

I found several free shaders assets in the yoyo marketplace.

I figured that would be a good place to learn from others, since youtube is a bust and the manul has no learn-able examples...

However all of the files are .gmez.

According to the yoyo site files such as the one in the link below are import-able into GMS1.4...

...but they do not show up in the browser window used for importing files.

S

Sybok

I haven't got GMS 1.4 in front of me. But my first thought is to open a new project, right click on the Extensions tab in the asset tree and 'Import' will probably show up there.

N

neurothoughtmachine

Thanks Sybok, but I think you misunderstand.....

I know how and where to import files.

The problem is: when I try to open a file with .gmez t
he files don't show up in the browser.

And, when I search though the different types of usable files, .gmez are not listed.

S

Sybok

That's ok, I was just making sure that you understood also.

Tried putting '*' in the filename field?

[edit]
As @BaBiA Game Studio just suggested, are you using 1.4? I see you have 1.3/1.4 in your topic title. If not, any reason you aren't on 1.4?

(Please don't say that the 1.3 you are using is a cracked version. Accounts don't last long here in that sort of scenario 😂 )

N

neurothoughtmachine

(Please don't say that the 1.3 you are using is a cracked version. Accounts don't last long here in that sort of scenario 😂 )
No, I have two legit accts.
I purchased a second acct for my son long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

I see you have 1.3/1.4 in your topic title. If not, any reason you aren't on 1.4?
I run 1.3, by default, but I reinstalled 1.49999 so I could import these files.

Like most people when 1.4 came out I installed it and began using it.
But like any software company they expect us to pay for the priviliege of debuging and reporting their bugs on a piece of software that is only ~70% complete.
Why should I trade my old bugs that I know how to avoid for new bugs that I have to spend the next six months learning how to avoid?
When you make a game with 3000+ assets (sprites, objects, music files...) bugs become more prevailent than when you're working on a small easily-managable project.
There are tolerance levels too.
Aside from the bugs, I found some of 1.4's intregal UI changes to be disagreeable.
Sometimes, switching versions come with a huge cost to your production timeline.
Anyone who has ever used software knows, a newer version is not always a better version.
So I switched back after a month or two.
This was back in 2016 or whatever.

In fact, some the above reasons, are why I haven't switched to GM2, yet.
Of course GM2 is inevitable for anyone who wishes to upload to Steam, Nintendo, or PS...
It is a matter of learning curve, production speeds, and code management.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Did you misunderstand what Sybok said and you are trying to import it as a project?

If you create a new project, right click "Extensions" in the resource tree and choose "Import" you will get a file selector window where you have the following options:

KtjIRKD[1].png

As you can see, .gmez is clearly there - this is in v1.4.9999.

I believe you can also just unzip them as they are just renamed zip files, but it's been a while since I used any 1.4 files so maybe I'm thinking of one of the other filetypes. Give it a try anyway.

N

neurothoughtmachine

Did you misunderstand what Sybok said and you are trying to import it as a project?

If you create a new project, right click "Extensions" in the resource tree and choose "Import" you will get a file selector window where you have the following options:

View attachment 34102

As you can see, .gmez is clearly there - this is in v1.4.9999.

I believe you can also just unzip them as they are just renamed zip files, but it's been a while since I used any 1.4 files so maybe I'm thinking of one of the other filetypes. Give it a try anyway.

OMG I thought yuou guys were referring to a tab within the create a new project selection menu...

"Extensions tab in the asset tree "

I totally didn't see that...

Sry didn't mean to waste your time!