• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Importing existing GMS2 project to another one?

A

Amorphous

Hi there.

I'm currently working on a rather large game that has been split into multiple GMS2 projects (basically, one for the 'core' game, and one 'module' to do some testing with UI and levels). Now that I've determined that the UI project is okay, I want to 'merge' it back into the core game so I can begin integrating the new code.

When I was using GMS 1.4, it was simple enough: create an extension in the module project, add all the assets to it, and then import that extension into the core project. However, I am finding it difficult to do the same in GMS2: extensions don't seem to add internal assets at all.

I can import all the assets one by one by importing the .yy files, but that takes time, especially since all the .yy files are in their own folders. Trying to import the whole folder (by dragging and dropping into the editor) at once dumped them all into 'Included Files', which was less than helpful. Trying to copy and paste the existing folders for resources directly from the module project file directory to the core project didn't work either - the new assets didn't show up in the GMS2 resource view even though they were available in Windows Explorer.

Some searching suggested that I should create a Marketplace certificate and publish private asset packages, but after creating a certificate, it required a Publisher's account - which assumes that you'll be publishing packages publicly. (It also requires a link to prior work akin to what you'll publish, of which I have none.)

Has anyone managed to successfully 'merge' two GMS2 projects like this? I've done quite a bit of work on my module project, and while I can do it the long way of adding the files one at a time, that is not an ideal situation.

Thank you.

H

haloflooder

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to import 150+ scripts from another project but I can't figure out how to do it easily w/o putting it in a library (which requires a publisher account).

I also tried to modify the project file manually but it's not worth it since everything is assigned to UUID's and it'll probably take the same amount of time to just import the scripts manually.

The word "import" in GMS 2 is kinda misleading because it just creates a new project then imports it into the new project instead of importing to the current project. Tried to export a project then re-import to another project but again, it just creates a new project and imports it there.

G

GMpeaks

facing same issue, no practical import option available, "add existing" works only for one object at a time
I wonder what devs do, manually add one by one?

JeffJ

Yet another one of many, many useful things that GMS1 could do that GMS2 cannot. It has been reported for a long time now, and we haven't even gotten word of whether or not we will have this (yet another) basic feature back or if we're sh*t out of luck. At this point I'm not even asking for it back, I'm asking for a confirmation on if we're lucky enough to be blessed with it at some point down the road. Blessed with this very basic stuff that we've always had.

L

lazyeye

It's on the roadmap to have personal asset packages! Have to try to be a bit understanding with how stretched thin YoYo must be with the switch export / GMS 1.4 coming to a close. Hopefully soon! (also thanks for the plug Yellow! As stated on the page the program may have some issues moving forward, but if you're lucky it'll still work as intended)

M

MarceloP

It's on the roadmap to have personal asset packages! Have to try to be a bit understanding with how stretched thin YoYo must be with the switch export / GMS 1.4 coming to a close. Hopefully soon! (also thanks for the plug Yellow! As stated on the page the program may have some issues moving forward, but if you're lucky it'll still work as intended)
We discussed a lot here in this same forum about the switch platform only being more and more work to do, and actually bring new bugs and more unstable code to GM. Anyway, I don't see this as an excuse since it was Yoyo's decision before even having a very stable developing toolkit and functions actually working on all the platforms they already have (Html5 and Android being the ones that have most issues).

I have the same thinking as @JeffJ, this seemed a bad road decision for now. In any case, the community is ahead of the company and developed this around 3 tools to work around this issue. I hope they'll help you.

JeffJ

Unless you have actual official information the rest of us don't, that's your personal interpretation of the roadmap. Even if you're right, that still leaves rather important questions, such as how it will work, and if it will require connection to the Marketplace (as the current only "solution" does). It's also worrying how it's worded as "asset packages" because that could mean any number of weird implementations that is nothing like what we had with GMS1's GMZ system. Going by their track record, one could easily fear that they're doing something really stupid and not unveiling it until it's already implemented and too late to redo. It would be very helpful if they were more transparent with just what the hell they're doing - and if the roadmap wasn't so vague that their users have to discuss interpretations of it.

cbritez

Credits: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/comments/irxhin by u/q_qshader

PSA: How to easy import (multiple) project files from another project (2.3+)

Unsure if this is widely known, but given that alot (most?) of the GMS2 third party importing tools are deprecated now with 2.3 out (myself was using one as well), there still is a way that works and it's done from GMS2 itself.
  1. Have both projects you wanna import to/from converted to 2.3
  2. In the project you wanna import files from, go to Tools -> Create Local Package -> Cherry-pick what files you need by adding them to the right side (Asset Package), name your package whatever and then press ok (this will create a new .yymps file).
  3. Open the project you wanna import files to and just drag and drop (or Tools -> Import Local Package) the .yymps file
  4. Now you got all of the files you need (even with the original categories)!
Given that it's pretty much how you import/export any marketplace asset, this should work indefinitely.