• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Importing a room

L

Lerchprinz

Ahoi comrades.
A friend of Mine started to help me with my project by filling a room. Now we have the problem, that i cant import his exported files... When He is exporting the room, we Just get some .yy Files....
How can we get the .gmx Files that ive read that we News at the Website?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
GMX format is for GMS1
YY format is for GMS2

GMS2 formats cannot be imported into GMS1 because there had been new features added (such as the layer system or grid-aligned tiles)

L

Lerchprinz

oh ok. But we still have the problem, that i cant import the .yy files...

i allways get the following text: "The external project file cannot be read to import this resource"

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
oh ok. But we still have the problem, that i cant import the .yy files...

i allways get the following text: "The external project file cannot be read to import this resource"
In that case ask the person to send their entire project rather than just a single YY - GMS2 relies on looking into the project file to figure out what resources do what

L

Lerchprinz

it is still not working. He exported his complete File and i was "add existing" his .yy file. but instead of an error message nothing happened...

WillB777

I am having the same problem too. I use yy files, but don't know how to transfer them into gms2 files. Why would they make yy files if they stop you from importing levels into your game?! We need this problem fixed now. My computer hiccuped on me and all my room files got kicked out of the game. I was able to get the scripts into the game but not the levels.

rIKmAN

@Lerchprinz @WillB777 :

Try this:
  1. Get your friend to zip/rar his project directory and send it to you.
  2. Extract it somewhere on your machine and then open the GMS2 project you want to import the rooms into.
  3. Right click "Rooms" in the Resource Tree, and choose "Add Existing".
  4. Browse to the folder you extracted his project into, go into the "rooms" folder, then into the room folder of the room you want to add and select the .yy file.
It should import the room into GMS2, along with any sprites, tilesets, objects etc that are contained in the room (which I would guess is why it needs the project files to accompany the .yy room files).

Just tested this on PC using the latest beta and it worked fine.

@Lerchprinz @WillB777 :

Try this:
  1. Get your friend to zip/rar his project directory and send it to you.
  2. Extract it somewhere on your machine and then open the GMS2 project you want to import the rooms into.
  3. Right click "Rooms" in the Resource Tree, and choose "Add Existing".
  4. Browse to the folder you extracted his project into, go into the "rooms" folder, then into the room folder of the room you want to add and select the .yy file.
It should import the room into GMS2, along with any sprites, tilesets, objects etc that are contained in the room (which I would guess is why it needs the project files to accompany the .yy room files).

Just tested this on PC using the latest beta and it worked fine.
I've tried this. But it's not working.
Are there any ideas that might be the problem?

1. Right click onto "Rooms"
1638398271515.png

2. Go to the folder where the room I want to import is.
1638398315479.png

3. And then it doesn't import it.
1638398328110.png

Attachments