• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Imported sprite gives error in IDE in one of my two computers

Enlapse

Hello there!

I have two computers, from now on, I will call them "first computer" (my main workstation) to the computer that gives the error while trying to import the image (or when the image is already imported thanks to the second computer) and the "second computer", the one that everything seems to work perfectly.

Well, I have a project hosted on GitHub and locally in two different computers. When I imported this image as a sprite in the second computer, everything worked perfectly. No errors, sprite looked perfectly and I could even use it in the room editor (I used it as a tile set), then saved the project, pushed the changes to the GitHub repo and then went back to my first computer, pulled the changes from the repo and tried to open the Game Maker project which resulted in an error saying that the texture was way bigger than the maximum dimensions (8192x8192) and proceeds to change the sprite to what is attached. Again, this exact sprite worked perfectly on my second computer.
  • Both computers use latest Windows 10 Updates (updated both as of today 06.09.2021 (dd.mm.yyyyy))
  • The hardware is different, but the first computer is more powerful
  • Both use the same IDE and runtime versions (2.3.3.574 - 2.3.3.437)
  • The texture page size in both computers is set to 2048x2048
  • I have another sprite with a height a little bit smaller than the supposed maximum (it's about 8000px instead of 8192) that work perfectly in both computers.
There is not anything else I can think of.

Any ideas? Except from the hardware, there shouldn't be any difference since I don't remember changing any configuration.

Thank you very much!

Here are the screenshots (yeah, one of the IDEs is in Spanish, I forgot to change it to English. Sorry!):
1.png2.jpg

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The error message says it all - sprites of that size are not supported by one of the devices. This is likely due to hardware limitations.

Also note that since your texture page size is set to 2048, it is no use to have a sprite of that size. It will be downscaled fit onto a 2048 texture page anyway.

Enlapse

Thank you for your reply!

Any idea of what could it be? Since my first computer is better in every single aspect compared to my second computer.

First computer - Second computer
  • GPU: 1060 3GB - M290X 2GB
  • CPU: i7 4790 - I5 4xxx (I don't remember which one is, I don't have the second computer at the moment)
  • RAM: 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 - 8GB DDR3 ?Mhz
  • HDD: 1TB 7200rpm -1TB 5400rpm
And I think that's everything that I could list.

Oh, two more details:
I have tried with a different version in my first computer (only the version is different), the 2.3.0 and it works correctly (both import and load the sprite from a pre-imported project).
The second computer is a Mac that is running Windows via Bootcamp.

I think that's all the differences between both systems. I don't understand why in a more powerful computer I could have this problem (if its due to hardware limitations) but in that exact computer, a lower version, works correctly.

Again, thank you very much!

Edit: Oh, and I only want it to be that size because it's the full tile set, and for comfort. I could technically split it without any issues, but again, I'd prefer to keep it this way for comfort as much as I can.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Any idea of what could it be?
The only hardware component that determines the supported texture sizes is the graphics card.

I think that's all the differences between both systems. I don't understand why in a more powerful computer I could have this problem (if its due to hardware limitations) but in that exact computer, a lower version, works correctly.
If something used to work and no longer works, that's a bug that should be reported:

Edit: Oh, and I only want it to be that size because it's the full tile set, and for comfort. I could technically split it without any issues, but again, I'd prefer to keep it this way for comfort as much as I can.
This won't work regardless of whether the host device supports that size or not, and regardless of the aforementioned bug. The maximum texture size is 8192 in either dimension. Anything above that will be downscaled to fit into that size. All you're going to achieve by using a larger size is quality loss at run time, and causing additional work for yourself when you inevitably change the size of the tileset and then have to redo all the rooms that use the portion of it that is now cut off. You could of course disable exporting the source sprite of the tileset and then manually rearrange the tiles in the tileset so that they don't exceed this limit, but... then you might as well do it right in the sprite.

Enlapse

The only hardware component that determines the supported texture sizes is the graphics card.

If something used to work and no longer works, that's a bug that should be reported:

This won't work regardless of whether the host device supports that size or not, and regardless of the aforementioned bug. The maximum texture size is 8192 in either dimension. Anything above that will be downscaled to fit into that size. All you're going to achieve by using a larger size is quality loss at run time, and causing additional work for yourself when you inevitably change the size of the tileset and then have to redo all the rooms that use the portion of it that is now cut off. You could of course disable exporting the source sprite of the tileset and then manually rearrange the tiles in the tileset so that they don't exceed this limit, but... then you might as well do it right in the sprite.
Thank you for all your help! I will stick with what you said from now on.

Have a nice day!