• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Import whole image as level

I like to design my room levels in Aseprite and then I just import the whole image as one tile into my room. This works alright as far as I experienced.

Does this also work for you people. and if so any negative experiences so far or is it all just good?

This very much depends on how big the image is. The default texture size is 2048x2048, so anything larger than that will automatically get scaled down to 2048x2048 and then blown up when it's being drawn, leading to some pretty horrible image artifacts. You can increase the default texture size, but again, you have the chance to run into the same problem depending on your level size. On top of that, it's a fairly clunky way of handling images. It's generally better to cut the image into pieces and tile them together to build the level, but then again, if it works for you, it works for you. Texture size is going to be the main "technical" difficulty you'll run into with this sort of workflow.