• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows import old project

shahin54

Hi,
I imported a GMS 1.4 project but it does not even run the project.
It's really boring.
The error message also makes no sense :
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0400001s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 04/11/2021 15:48:14
"cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0300000s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 04/11/2021 15:48:14
"cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0100000s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378" started at 04/11/2021 15:48:14
Saving project to: C:\Users\shahin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\quran\quran.yyp
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\quran_56E12BE0\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\user_1000000\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\quran_56E12BE0\targetoptions.json
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="quran" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/quran_56E12BE0" /zpuf="C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\user_1000000" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="default" /o="Y:/quran_42D7E0BD_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/quran_42D7E0BD_VM\options.ini" /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\shahin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\quran\quran.yyp" /preprocess="Z:/quran_56E12BE0"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
at GMAssetCompiler.Program.(String )
at GMAssetCompiler.GMLCompile.()
at GMAssetCompiler.Program.(String[] )
EXCEPTION FILE - C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Local\Temp\af06be8dc558426f957f63a4b8f47aaf.yyg.saencryptedreport

X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe exited with non-zero status (-532462766)
elapsed time 00:00:01.6710911s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\shahin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run started at 04/11/2021 15:48:14
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0160010s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 04/11/2021 15:48:16
"cmd" /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0200000s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 04/11/2021 15:48:16
"cmd" /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0200000s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 04/11/2021 15:48:16
FAILED: Run Program Complete
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why messages do not pinpoint the problem?
Why does the new version not run old projects?
Help me.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Why messages do not pinpoint the problem?
You need to look further up the compiler message and see if any error messages are reported in the whole thing. You can post the whole output here but please enclose it in [spoiler][/spoiler] tags. :)

Well, "old" projects at this point are from a version that is obsolete and 5+ years old... And GML/GameMaker has changed a LOT since then, so it's to be expected that old projects will need some work before they are compatible.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
but please enclose it in [spoiler][/spoiler] tags.
It would be better to enclose in [code][/code] tags because it will prevent certain symbols from become emoji
and it will shorten the text while being able to scroll through it

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
at GMAssetCompiler.Program.(String )
This seems to be the actual error that makes everything else fail? Not sure if this refers to the string function or something that's purely under-the-hood.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
It would be better to enclose in [code][/code] tags because it will prevent certain symbols from become emoji
and it will shorten the text while being able to scroll through it
It would be better to enclose it in [spoiler][plain][/spoiler][/plain] tags because it won't format the non-code as code AND will prevent symbols from becoming emoji... ;)
;)

Anyway, I think the log posted in the first post IS the entire log, as it starts with creating the X/Y/Z drives, which is the first thing in my compile logs.

When you say "new version", which version exactly are we talking about here? The newest version as of writing is IDE 2.3.2.556 and runtime 2.3.2.420.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You're not using the latest version. Please update to the latest version. Does the problem still occur?

rIKmAN

My GMS 2 don't play audio file :
View attachment 39526
why?
You should take the time to reply to people who are trying to help you solve your first problem instead of ignoring them and asking another completely unrelated question.
Keep ignoring people who are giving their own time to try and help you and they will eventually stop bothering.

In saying that, check File > Preferences > General and make sure that the Default Audio Device is set correctly.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
My GMS 2 don't play audio file :
View attachment 39526
why?
So... is the issue this topic is about resolved or what?

You're going to have to put in at least a fundamental amount of effort if you want us to be able to help you effectively. What you've told us so far gives us roughly as much information as if you told your doctor that you're in pain, but neglect to mention where it hurts.

There are many things you can test on your own before even posting. Doing so - and telling us - means that we won't suggest the things you already tried, such as:
- Do other sound resources play?
- Do other audio files play?
- Does this occur in an empty project?
- Does this occur if you restart the IDE?
- Does this occur if you restart your PC?
- Are your speakers muted?
- Is GMS 2 muted?

If you haven't tried anything like that yet, test at least those things. If you already tried these, or some of these, tell us everything you tried so that we won't suggest things you've already tried, as that is neither an efficient use of our time nor of your time. By helping us help you, you'll find that you'll benefit a lot more from the help you'll receive from this community.

shahin54

This is the same old project I imported. There are none of the above drawbacks. I wanted to solve the problem of the old project. I found some problematic commands. I re-imported the audio files which do not produce sound during playback.