• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Import from strip and removing background?

D

Dani

Hello!

In GMS 1.x we can import an animated sprite from a strip, and also remove the background color at the same time, like this:

import-strip-remove-bg.png

Is this option still available in GMS 2? If yes, where is it? Otherwise, adding that feature back would be very useful and handy, as it was on 1.x.

Thanks.

Dani

makas

the strip is in the image editor(when you are editing an sprite) in the image menu, there is not remove background function yet though

D

Dani

Ok, thanks! I hope that "remove background" option is added back, it's very useful when importing indexed images.

A

Aura

File this as a suggestion perhaps. I don't see why that checkbox should get removed and it might be something that they overlooked.

I recall @Mike saying something about colour replacing/removal functionality that shouldn't have been removed, so yes, it might be one such feature. Ask them if they could add it back anyway.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Wasn't this one.... this feature is nasty as it requires the lower left pixel to be the "colour" to remove. the "replace" was to colour swap once loaded.

We are looking at being able to select all colours of the same type using the magic wand (as suggested in another thread), that would let you just select and delete in one step.

Mike, for your information. The famous magic wand to remove all of one color would indeed be something good BUT would that want be able to remove all of the same color in all subimages of a sprite? I think the information submitted here is that BEFORE, there was a possibility, built-in GMS that permitted us to remove the background color of a sprite, animated or not. Now, as you suggest, that possibility dissapeared taking out something pretty rudimental and overused during the passed years with YYG. I do think the remove background function should have stayed here BUT, it you are looking into removing a color using something else, please take into consideration to be able to do this with more than one image in a sprite or else the diting will be pretty long and tiresome.

makas

yeah would be a pain in the ass to import an animation with 20 sprites, and remove them one by one

D

Dani

Ok, people, let's focus on the problem.

Sorting sprite animations across one unique single file (and with solid BG color) is a common practice among pixel artists. The "Create from strip" options is absolutely fantastic in this case, and "Remove background" was very useful as well. This feature will only bring benefits for fast import of indexed images.

I would recommend that you let us select the color to be removed simply by clicking on one place of the image preview you show us during the import phase, as seen in this mockup:

create-from-strip.png

But, in fact, you could let us remove the background color in any other dialog for importing images into the program, not only on "Create from strip". Please, make our life easier.

Thanks!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Wasn't what I was planning, but we'll keep it in mind....

You could obviously import it, strip the background from the single image, and then turn it into frames - so you'd only be doing one image. But I accept this is an extra step.

@Dani You just managed to sum up exactly what I was thinking for a good way to allow the background to be removed during import. Allowing the user to select the colour does away with that old way of "the lower left pixel to be the colour to remove" that @Mike mentioned.

N

Never Mind

Hey guys! Does this option still exist?:
Images > Erase a Color... Shift + Ctrl + E

In GMS 1.x it can be applied to a single sub-image or to all at once. I find this more useful than simply removing the left hand top corner.
I don't mind if it's in a separate window that's not included in the import options.

@Mike that sounds like it could be tedious but I'm probably not understanding the context.

Last edited by a moderator: