• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mac OSX Images are in poor quality

T

Tehiro

Hi, I'm currently working on a game on GMS2 (free version, I'm studying the software at the moment), but the global image quality looks poor to me when I run the game.

Here's some example of how I see the sprite in room in editing phase, then you see the the output version when the game runs.

How can I fix it?

logo.jpg

T

Tehiro

Sprite frame is 150x250 px, texture page is 2048x2048 and I have no option to change it.

RangerX

Which one is 150x250, your original sprite or the in-game result?
Anyhow, if it isn't larger than a texture page you should loose detail.
However, if your game resolution is too low for how wide is your view, you might again loose detail at output.

What's your view/cam and application size compared to your monitor's resolution? Scaling can also cause graphical loss.

T

Tehiro

The sprite file and in game are on the same size. Even if I make it littler than his original size will provide a low quality output. Don’t know how to fix it.

In your image the right guy is a few pixels smaller in height than the left one, but the width of both is the same. Maybe the aspect ratio of your camera/viewport is wrong? And have you turned on "Interpolate Colors Between Pixels" in the graphics settings? In my version of GMS2 it's turned off by default.

I think it looks like a scaling issue due to a bad aspect ratio. And those scaling artifacts might result from a deactivated color interpolation.

T

Tehiro

Here are the settings. I also tried to make the character tinier. Still poor quality.
image.png

T

Tehiro

It’s a PNG sprite, can’t use vectors on the free version I’m studying with..

rIKmAN

It’s a PNG sprite, can’t use vectors on the free version I’m studying with..
Can you link / host the image somewhere?

I can test it using the Windows IDE, as I'm wondering if this might be a Mac issue / bug?

TheouAegis

What are the coordinates of the sprite? Fractional screen coordinates will cause distortion, too.

You said the sprite is 150x250. How many frames of animation are in that sprite?

I

icuurd12b42

the sprite on the right is shorter and less wide than the one on the left. shrinking down sprite means removal of lines at regular intervals. with interpolation the spot where the lines are removed may cause bumps a wrinkles. if you turn interpolation off, you will see the missing lines more clearly.

Long story short something in the render chain is scaling the image down. check your image x/yscale, your port settings (in room vies and port), to be the same size... and if the problem persists, change application surface size to match the port as well...