• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Image Not Appearing When running game

J

JasonDarby

Hello,

Not a great start on the forums for me, here with a problem :|

I have a sprite/object that appears in the editor, but doesn't seem to want to appear in game. I havent done anything special with it, just doesn't appear when I run the game... sure its probably really simple, but doing my head in already :D

Tried it on different layers (even though it all appears correct in the editor).

Only thing different I did with this was a I took a screen shot of an image using snagit exported it and imported it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

PS cant believe I'm stuck on something so simple so far :(

• Note I am not using any draw calls, its just an image on screen. Only two images dont appear correctly and both were imported using the same method.
  • When I look at the texture sheet, the two images dont seem to appear in them.
  • Ok just have created a new object, and just painted the sprite and this doesn't work either... really no idea whats going on.
  • The original project was on windows and all the groups I created disappeared when I moved over to Mac, I wonder if the game is now broken in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so, the first thing to do is clear the compiler cache. This is done using the "broom" icon at the top of the IDE beside the Play buttons. A stale cache can often give odd issues like this, so please try that then run the game again and let us know if it works...

J

JasonDarby

I was so excited that you might have cracked it then, but unfortunately still the same.

Works fine in ide but not when running the game. Might just try a blank file with a few files in to see what happens. Quite depressing as I have a lot of graphics to get into the game and not even scratched the surface of code yet... ahhhh :D

gnysek

Can you open those images in some other editor than GM internal one ? You'll find images in project directory under sprites. Maybe they are broken in some way... in other editor, after they opened, try to save them (maybe it gonna fix image), then open project, clear asset cache in GM and run again.

Also, you can make project as minimum as you need (just left one image and object/layer which displays it), if you don't want us to use this image draw some lines over it in GMS editor (as watermark ;) ) and export to GMZ, so we can grab project and test on our sides (but test it before, maybe it will fix magically at this point, especially after drawing over original image).

J

JasonDarby

Still not working, wonder if its some transparency issue?

I looked in the sprites folder and it exists, looked at the config file that goes with it, that looked pretty much the same as another file that does work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcgvuqum3p8yc5k/DOD_Prob.zip?dl=0

Link it attached above, not sure if it'll work as I have less than 5 posts... Basically the game starts on one screen, fades out and goes straight to the credits screen, which is what I decided to start with as it has some basic code that I'll put in which mimics across some of the early game screens.

Should have mentioned that its in room "Credits_Screen"
Object is called "obj_top_borderbox"

Cheers

So trying different rooms now and just adding any image means it doesn't show up.... looks like (unless I am missing something really obvious), I must have broken it by moving from windows over to Mac as the dev system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had projects break moving between Mac and windows myself, however in my opinion your project is broken in some way.

I got same results as you.

I tried making a new room at the top of the room list and running the game, but the project acted as if the room was not there. Making a new sprite and putting it in either room didn't work either.

It's like your project is not registering most changes.

I had a look at the projects YYP file and the new room I created was in there. The new room also could be seen and opened in the ide. Just didn't appear when running the game.

I cleared the cache of course even though it should have been clean from importing it.

If you start a brand new project and just put the sprites in can you view them. If so, there is something buggy with your project.

Log a ticket with help desk and attach your project, they may be able to work it out.

J

JasonDarby

Thanks really appreciate it, glad it wasn't something stupid I was doing. Bit disappointing that I've hit a road block already and have to start again....

gnysek

Ah, by simplyfiyng project I was meaning to left not working sprite and one room, so it could be easier to find out what's wrong. It's this part of picture which I should look on? upload_2018-7-12_9-59-16.png

(it's on windows, I will check on Mac later, as I'm in office now).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If you still have the YYP that shows this issue, could you please zip it and upload it somewhere then file a bug and link to it, this thread, and briefly explain the issue please? It may just be a random "that's-just-computers-for-you" type of thing, but it could also be a bug in the export/saving or a Mac vs Windows issue. Whatever it turns out to be, the only way we'll find out is if the devs can get a look at the issue.

J

JasonDarby

If you still have the YYP that shows this issue, could you please zip it and upload it somewhere then file a bug and link to it, this thread, and briefly explain the issue please? It may just be a random "that's-just-computers-for-you" type of thing, but it could also be a bug in the export/saving or a Mac vs Windows issue. Whatever it turns out to be, the only way we'll find out is if the devs can get a look at the issue.
Yeah have logged a support ticket and sent the files off. Hopefully it helps as it's the type of problem that makes me want to just carry on with other tools.

J

JasonDarby

Ah, by simplyfiyng project I was meaning to left not working sprite and one room, so it could be easier to find out what's wrong. It's this part of picture which I should look on? View attachment 19532

(it's on windows, I will check on Mac later, as I'm in office now).
Unfortunately it then started to affect all new images being added regardless of room, so it was totally screwed.

But basically the image you show there is a smaller image that allows the logo to pass underneath it

J

JasonDarby

On another note, I recreated the screen from scratch in a new project, and it all works ok now, so no working on windows and moving over to Mac for the moment :D