• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Image Editor - Palette Editor

Posh Indie

That Guy
The image editor is pretty decent now, but there is one thing that always pushes me away from image tools; palette editing. Without proper palette creation and editing it is hard to choose colors and adjust them to the piece you are making (This is pretty much a given, but I thought I would specify why, haha).

I saw in another thread that @Mike has stated that the image editor is used even more than the "Run" button. Not the case for me, but I can see how that happens. So to make the image editor serve even greater purpose why not add a proper palette (Colors can be dragged around within the bounds of the palette space) and editing tools (Create ramp between two colors, for instance). It is the one reason I tend to stray to other editors at this point in time.

This one's for you (and us) Mike! Haha.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You can double click on a palette entry and redefine it, and each sprite saves the palette you used. So you could simply create a sprite with the palette you want, then from the little menu on the "colours" title bar, select "copy from sprite and copy the palette over. This also means the palette is saved as a resource and you an import it into other projects if you wish.

upload_2016-12-7_17-25-6.png

S

Storyteller

can we do palette swaps in code?
like megaman, or to do a sunset/sunrise or night and day effect with palette manipulation?
Is this a feature already or a planned feature?
I mean at runtime, like the old megaman stuff.

Mick

can we do palette swaps in code?
like megaman, or to do a sunset/sunrise or night and day effect with palette manipulation?
Is this a feature already or a planned feature?
I mean at runtime, like the old megaman stuff.
I would love this also, problem is that the old systems forced you to use limited palettes, thats how the hardware worked, nowadays that's not the case so this would require a "custom" system, @Mike should be the expert on this.

Palettes for pixel graphics are good in several ways, it gives you limitations so your graphics will look more consistent and when possible to manipulate in game it can simplify creating effects, costumising sprite colors for your player characters etc., and even animations.

There is a palette swapper shader + very nice tool for it on the marketplace, it might require some modification to work for gms2 though: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/1661/retro-palette-swapper

Last edited:
S

Storyteller

its a simple search and replace function....

really, its
if (ColorX == #FFDD12)
{
ColorX = #123ABC;
}
and should hold the new sprite or tilemap data in ram.

should be a few iterations of that. A shader may well do this, but as a feature, Id like to see it built in. I'll make a thread asking for this as a feature. Many things start as third party add-ons, to be added as main features in a program later.