• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

I'm thinking about creating user-created additions to the manual.

C

Christian

I want to create additions to the manual that can be accessed by middle clicking or by going to Help > Manual. I found out how to edit the manual but I feel that a user-created manual can help provide more advanced GML help based on community experiences.

Often times, I see this in the community "Check the manual". But if you look at the manual for some of those references, some things aren't very clear as to how they work and why they work the way they work. Why choose this over that, etc. Or maybe it can include more information and pictures. Other times, there is such little documentation that no one has any clue on how to make it happen to begin with. (It doesn't happen often, but I've come across these issues on several occasions when I was first starting out).

I want to add "How To's" in there for those who want to expand their Gamemaker capabilities. Specifically for advanced users, but in one place. It would include things like "Importing 3D Models" "Using ini files" "Convert color from RGB to BGR" "Creating your own extension from scratch", "setting up Gamemaker for iOS for dummies" "Client/Server games", etc. Worded a little better but it would be nice to have it all right there. Then it's up for the user to help themselves.

There will also be chunks added on how to use some of the code. How does it work, why does it work, what can go wrong. Is this best practice? And stuff of that nature. I just want to get your thoughts on this. Do you think it would help people? Do you think people won't like it? Any concerns other than the obvious security and false information?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aura

Modification and redistribution of the Manual (or any other part of the package) is against the EULA, so forget about doing that.

If you have any suggestions on how the Manual can be improved, you should suggest it away. (Our own @Nocturne does the Manual and he'd be more than happy to improve things I'm sure). Besides, that's the only option you have.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Distribution is a pretty big concern IMO, as well as curation (both for false information, quality assurance, preventing people from putting swear words at random places etc).

C

Christian

Modification and redistribution of the Manual (or any other part of the package) is against the EULA, so forget about doing that.
I certainly don't want to go against the EULA or distribute any modifications without the approval of Yoyogames, but maybe I can create an entirely new file to help. As someone who has worked on websites and help files before, creating a new manual wouldn't be terribly hard. This way I am the owner and creator of the addition and intellectual property rights aren't infringed. Then my next challenge would be getting Gamemaker to open that part of the manual, so I can try talking to Nocturne about that to see what the options are.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
EDIT: looks like I was late posting this. But I'll leave it anyway.

(Already discussed above)
When you say "the" manual, I assume you mean the GML Manual provided by YoYoGames. In which case, you can't modify (add to) that, and then re-post it. That manual is "owned and operated" so to speak, by YoYoGames. It's a copyright-protected document. Studio users can use it as they want -- including I suppose, adding "notes" for their own purposes. But they can't re-post it for others.

So a better choice would be making tutorials for subjects you feel could benefit from more explanation. You can post tutorials and examples on your own website, although the GMC Tutorials Forum would be the best choice IMO.

Other than that, you can create your own general-purpose instruction book for Studio, similar in purpose to the YYG manual. But it must be your own creation.

Either way, it's great that you want to contribute learning material for new GM users. Just be careful about copyright rules.

C

Christian

Distribution is a pretty big concern IMO, as well as curation (both for false information, quality assurance, preventing people from putting swear words at random places etc).
Absolutely. I would want to follow the existing level of quality. I wouldn't want anyone to just have access to it for risk of profanity and misinformation.

When you say "the" manual, I assume you mean the GML Manual provided by YoYoGames. In which case, you can't modify (add to) that, and then re-post it. That manual is "owned and operated" so to speak, by YoYoGames. It's a copyright-protected document. Studio users can use it as they want -- including I suppose, adding "notes" for their own purposes. But they can't re-post it for others.

So a better choice would be making tutorials for subjects you feel could benefit from more explanation. You can post tutorials and examples on your own website, although the GMC Tutorials Forum would be the best choice IMO.

Other than that, you can create your own general-purpose instruction book for Studio, similar in purpose to the YYG manual. But it must be your own creation.

Either way, it's great that you want to contribute learning material for new GM users. Just be careful about copyright rules.
I do mean the GML Manual provided by Yoyogames. I certainly don't want to be infringing on copyright rules or take away from the resources already available here. I only have it on my own machine to see if it could be done and just for my own notes.

Llama_Code

If your dedicated to actually maintaining something like this, why not create a manual Wiki where users can comment on functions and add their own examples. That way your not infringing on the EULA, and it's not something sponsored by YoYo.

The PHP manual comes to mind, where users are allowed to comment on the functions and you can often find excellent usage examples beyond what the manual gives, like this random example

http://php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php

Mind you the actual manual is owned by YoYo so you can't go copy it verbatim without permission.

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Most of the content you proposed for adding to the Manual is not suitable for the Manual.

The point of a manual is to state the exact behaviour of every implemented functionality, nothing more. Short examples and illustrations are fine, but full-sized guides and tutorials have no business being there. The latter should be stored in a knowledge base or wiki.

A lot of novices go into the Manual looking for tutorials, full game guides and direct solutions to their bugs. That's not what the Manual is for, and of course they'll flop every time. Manuals are micro resources, knowledge bases and wikis are macro resources.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Mind you the actual manual is owned by YoYo so you can't go copy it verbatim without permission.
The manual is available online, though, so rather than copying it you could refer and link to it in the cases where a direct reference is necessary, if any.

The idea of a wiki-style thing sounds interesting, and would probably be easier to manage than compiling a standalone document type of resource. I also like the suggestion to make tutorials on common subjects, there's a lot of unorganized tutorials in widely varying levels of quality and scope, and a series of tutorials written by the same authors, adding familiarity, would help with changing that for the better... more accessible to newbies.